B Comm and Honours degree with work experience

Anusha

Hi forum members, I welcome your guidance. I obtained my B Comm degree in 2005 and have 6.5 years to date work exp in my role majoring in strategy and business manag. I have also obtained my honours degree with similar majors and graduated in 2016. 

I will be submitting my vetassess app soon and wanted to know whether I should submit both certificates and academic transcripts. I read somewhere was indicated work exp after obtaining of qualifications.

Thx !

Submit both it should be fine. The only "count" your base dredge, our atleast Engineers Australia and the compute science guys only take the base and XP gained after that. 

Yea, I'm not really sure about this one. It's true that they only count work experience after your qualifying degree was obtained, and it's true that they should use your BComm for that.

But, to the best of my knowledge once you're in Australia no employer ever looks at the VETASSESS results to employ you, so you won't miss anything on that front if you don't include your Hons. I would hesitate to give them more than they ask, because it might just confuse and complicate your application.

So let's see if you can get any feedback from other people in the BComm field about what they think, also whether they had successful assessments with only a Bachelors?

(I'm also in Engineering, so my knowledge has limited applicability here) 

Hi,

I graduated with a Bcom in 2013 and had previous 13 years experience with Diploma. VETASSESS gave me 3yrs experience so yah they count when you get your degree.. so rather just use your Bcom

Hi, Thx so much for your feedback. I got the degree in 2005 and then the honours B comm in 2016. Do you think if I submit the honours they will disregard all my experience? So I rather not send my honours things as it will confuse them? 

Strictly according to how they are supposed to work, no this won't affect them, and they will realise that the BComm is the real qualifier, and all your XP will count. That's how it's supposed to work.

But I think you should see if any BComm people can tell you what they did and what happened. Or maybe ask one of the agents @TeeTMI or @SD_MOA if they have experience with clients in this field and what happened.

It's totally possible that I'm underestimating the guys at VETASSESS. So please double check.

The reason I would personally not do it, is that it gives you no benefit. If the BComm is sufficient then they will recognise it, and recognise the experience. If you add an Hons, and it doesn't confuse them, then you don't get anything extra, it's not like they say you 'extra qualify' your skill, they just say: Requirement met. So I think it's unnecessary.

Best thing is to find out what they've actually done. My understanding might be incorrect for your field.

• RedPanda changed the title to B Comm and Honours degree with work experience

Sorry, I took liberty and edited your title/question, to see if more people will read it, who have B Comm degrees. Hope you don't mind?

• Thanks 1

Hi Anusha,

I just got a skills assessment for Vetassess. they gave me experience from a year after I completed my degree.

The essentially see your skill as requiring a degree plus one year's work experience. You only start accruing applicable work experience for the visa after you have been deemed to have qualified with the skill.

I hope that makes sense.

Hello Anusha,

Vetassess should count work experience after the issuing of your degree (less the number of years required to meet their requirements).

If you would like me to review your situation drop me an email with your CV to the email address below.

Regards

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi.  Thx everyone for all your help.  I got a positive skills assessment back this morning! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Anusha said:

Hi.  Thx everyone for all your help.  I got a positive skills assessment back this morning! 

Congratulations!!! :D 

What did you end up submitting to them?

@redpanda- I gave them both qualifications with transcript. They gave me max work experience. It was in highly closely related field. 

Thx

• Like 1