Passport Renewal

Fidjet

HI everyone

We applied for our 189 Visa in April 2017 and we are still waiting, I am getting a bit nervous because my husband's (the main applicant) passport is expiring in March 2018. When do you think we should apply for and get his new passport. I am worried that if we apply and update it will cause trouble in the application, but at the same time, we don't want to wait too long and then have our VISA denied because his Parport isn't valid anymore, or for long enough anymore? 

Edited by Fidjet

I'm not aware of any minimum time to expiry on your passport, but I would wait until the visa is granted.  It takes less than a week nowadays to renew a passport if you're in South Africa and have used the online booking system.

Then you simply update the passport details on the DIBP website.

• Thanks 1

Hello Fidjet,

If DIBP are not happy with the amount of time left on your husband's passport at the time they are ready to grant they visa they will ask you to supply a new one.  This will not result in them refusing the visa.  If you are still waiting in Jan 2018 I would recommend applying for a new one and then updating the visa application (this is easy to do).

I hope this helps!

Regards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ChrisH and @SD_MOA thanks for the advice, we will wait for either VISA or next year before we get a new one for him.