How do I know if my degree will be accepted?

Skapie

Hi everyone,

I need advise regarding who I can check with, to see if my institution through which I studied my PGCE, is recognized/accepted in Australia.

In other words, if I studied through Unisa this year, is it still accepted as a proper standard of education, and if not, which institutions are.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Hi @Skapie, I am no agent but I can tell you this as I have recently sent off my qualifications via my agent to Australia for assessment.  You will have to send your certified copy of your degree, certified copies of transcripts and course content and proof of minimum 45 days Teaching Practice to AITSL (Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership) to have your PGCE recognised under Australian standards.  Please note that your Teaching Practice must be completed as part of your PGCE and not after.  In other words if you are employed as a teacher and studying towards the PGCE, this employment will not be counted as Teaching Practice.  Also if you are claiming points for work experience, then you need to send an original letter from your employer/s to prove your work experience and to get AITSL to approve it. Also include certified copies of the bio page of your passport, birth and marriage certificates. Which phase did you study PGCE?  Hope this helps...feel free to ask for any assistance from forumites, everyone here is really really helpful.  AITSL website for more info:  https://www.aitsl.edu.au

Hi March2,

Thank you so much for your kind help.

I am actually in the process of enrolling for my PGCE studies, I haven't yet completed my studies.  

I have asked many a students' advice regarding which institution to do my studies with, and it obviously has to be long distance, and I've just about decided.

I just want to make sure that the institution is accepted.  Before I enroll and pay the fees only to find out that my chosen University doesn't meet the standards.

@Skapie, Okay I now understand.  I don't think you would have a problem with UNISA PGCE.  Many people on this forum have studied a PGCE through them and were all good.  Just do a PGCE in Early Childhood Development or Secondary School as these 2 are on the recent skills list.  Primary School teachers are not.

Unfortunately it states  on  https://www.aitsl.edu.au/migrate-to-australia/frequently-asked-questions

" AITSL does not list qualifications recognised for skills assessment."

That really sucks. 

I know some of the assessing bodies in Australia use a particular database that tells them whether a qualification from a certain university is of the required standard. Unfortunately I can't remember its name. But I do remember Googling it and it wasn't something they just made available online for you to look at. I also remember it was quite harsh... for example it would point out things like after 20xx a particular qualification at UNISA was no longer up to standard.

So, that is probably why the AITSL cannot make the list available to the public. They might only pay to use the database themselvs,  but they might not be allowed to make it available online.

Sorry that's not what you wanted to hear. The reality is by the time you finish your qualification it might not be up to standard. South Africa's education standards are plummeting. But its not just education standards, its also things like fraud and extreme government pressure to get "previously disadvantaged" people to pass. Any of those could get your qualification taken off the list :(

Stay positive... South Africa is the 4th largest source of migrants into Australia... clearly they have accepted many South African qualifications ;)

Edited by monsta

Hi Monsta,

Thank you so much for your insight. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Would I waste my time studying with so-and-so, or am I ok to do so.   Pity it's not so straightforward.  Very interesting read, though.  As you say, staying positive...  🤓

Hi SimpleSimon,

Thank you so much for the link.

I can't tell you how long and hard I've thought towards studying for this occupation.

So long now that I've started thinking that I'm over thinking it. And not getting any younger while doing it...

The truth of the matter is, it's an expensive course, no matter how you think of it.  I'm a mom of two little ones, so it's a commitment regardless.  

I don't know how realistic it is to study as an international student when it comes to the practicals.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Yeah, looking at the price ($26.5K pa) you're better off doing it in South Africa.

Unfortunately university education is the 4th largest foreign income earner for Australia. Australia has several universities listed in the top 100 in the world. 

The reality is universities like Macquarie University are not in the top 100 in the world like, Australia National University or The University of New South Wales. That's because to get into the university of new south wales, a local student would need to get good marks. UNSW takes mostly local students. But at Macquarie they take a lot more foreign students, who just need Mommy/Daddy who can pay the fees. A year at Macquarie University is easily $30k. 

There is nothing wrong with that... UNSW is getting government grants to educate students, so the government requires they only educate the top achievers. Whereas Macquarie University doesn't get government grants to train foreign students, so they charge higher fees more and the students don't have to get the same marks to get in. Its also  wealthy parents who can't get their child into a local university in Singapore, China, etc..  that will send their kids overseas. 

You also have to bear in mind... for a Chinese family to send their kids to Macquarie university... rent alone is $250 per week for a room share! To live comfortably would cost over $700 per week in Macquarie Park. It makes the degree seem not too expensive. 

Another great option is https://www.open.edu.au/   You can study online from several of the top universities in Australia. 

But in reality, there has been the question posted here several times asking if people living in Australia should study at UNISA. The answer is almost always, Yes. A degree from UNISA costs less than $30k in total!

• Like 1