Kitchen Knives on a plane

MichKen

Hi All,

Can someone please assist if anyone knows...

I would like to pack my "old-faithful" kitchen knives into my checked luggage; it's hubbys grans bone handle bread knife (sentimental value) and the 2 or 3 knives I use daily to cook with (no, I am certainly no chef, but I am a bit fussy about the knives I use).  I understand that there are probably better knives available in Aus, but I quite like these and I am already so used to them.  This is literally all I want to take with me (except my normal luggage of course).

I understand from what I have read that I can possibly take them in my check-in luggage, if sheathed, but can I take them into Aus?  Customs-wise?

Hope anyone out there can advise?

Thanks in advance,

Michelle

Cannot see that there will be a problem taking them in your checked luggage. I would make a bag for them. Long piece of material, which, when folded in half, will cover even the longest blade. Make it of thickish material, like denim. Cut two pieces the same size, put the two wrong sides together, and stich them along the edge. Then take a third piece, fold it in half, so that the right side shows. Place this piece on the edge of the already sown pieces. Now measure the width of your knives, and pin a place for each one. Then you stitch along these lines. You can then edge the whole thing at the same time. On the opposite side to where the bags now are, make a long piece of cord, or ribbon, fold it in half, and attach it to the centre. You can now place your knives, each in their own pocket, fold over the top, and then roll it all up and secure it with the ribbon around it. That is how I carry my knives with me. Have never been stopped at customs, just questioned. When they ask, I tell them they are my kitchen knives and that I cannot cook without them.

I found some illustrations to give you an idea.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Leather-Chefs-Knife-Roll/

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/187180928239448105/

Hope this helps you.

• Like 3

@MichKen  have a read of ->   https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente/Brin/Can-I-bring-it-back/Can-I-Bring-It-Back-Weapons/Can-I-Bring-Fixed-Blade-Knives-Back

If you are super nervous... write down that link and bring a print out of the web page with you. If the knives aren't allowed in, then you will have to chuck them out. The printout is just to cover you for when they ask, "what made you think kitchen knives were ok?". They print out will get you out of trouble. The customs officer would probably respond with "ooh yea, that page is out of date".. but he will be far more likely to let you off with a warning as he can see you were trying to do the right thing.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info @monsta.

To be honest I would rather leave them behind or courier them to myself if there is a chance they won't like it and make me throw it out.

The link shows it to be ok, so I will save it and check just before we go again.  I am also mainly worried about the bone-handle knife, that one has sentimental value and bone may be a problem being organic. If they make me throw the others out it will be a pity, but that will be a definite loss.

You could still lose them if you courier them, as incoming parcels are checked and customs cleared when they come into Australia.

As for the bone handle, I doubt that it will be a problem, it is not fresh bone!

• Like 1

Look, my grandfather brought in a walking stick with an aardvark tooth for a handle, which he made himself. He declared it, and had a nice relaxed chat with the customs officer who looked at the item, explaining how he boiled it, and sanded it, and had owned it for some time. No problem. So the Aussies don't have an issue with organic items per se, they want to make sure that you are not bringing in live organisms or viruses that can spread and cause problems. This being said, at the end of the day it is up to the discretion of the individual customs officer that you encounter on the day.

All in all, I don't think you should have any problem with bone handle kitchen knives travelling in checked luggage.

• Like 1

Thanks for assistance!  Generally seems it shouldn't be an issue then. Thanks again!