Teachers applying with AITSL

JTurley

Question

Hi all,

So i'm preparing all the paperwork needed to submit to AITSL to apply for a secondary teacher for a 189 VISA.

A few questions to those teachers out there - let me explain my story ;

I have an undergrad - BCom Communication Management and then my PGCE Intermediate and Senior (Grades 4 - 9) but luckily did my practical teaching with ages 13 - 16 in a high school.

1. Has anyone received a positive assessment with an InterSenior PGCE? as i've heard feedback from some that it should ONLY be focused on senior phase and cannot be divided between phases. Share views?

2. If the above is true, i'm preparing that they may ask me for a letter from my uni stating that i focused enough on the senior phase during my PGCE studies, has anyone needed a letter like this and how did you word it? I'm going to send that letter along with all my documents anyhow, just to back myself up. 

Please help me out all your wonderful peeps!

Great idea @VenomZA.  I should also get my past employment reference letters sorted for this purpose too.  Am so nerved just waiting for my assessment, need it to be positive for secondary school.  By the way, the employment reference letter that must be sent for AITSL to assess your work experience (if you are claiming for experience) must be the original.  So if you are in the process of sorting this out, get a few original copies, you will need this I am sure for teacher registration.

Thanks @March2, I can imagine, the entire process seems nerve wrecking! I`m nervous about the assessment and we haven't even started lol!

My partner only has 1.5 years of experience after her degree, so we wont be claiming points for experience, so we need her to get the superior English test results, if not we only have 55 points. I still don`t get why we cant claim the 5 community language points, Afrikaans is on the list and she can teach Afrikaans lol... We would really prefer her current employer not to know about it until they really need to. We will be getting letters for employment then and grab a couple of pages.  

I will just get a couple of original copies for everything...  and send in original copies everywhere we a letter. 

Hi @VenomZA.

Bongeka, at the teaching prac office at UNISA drafted my practical letter and was super helpful. My PGCE InterSenior was a 50 day prac, which had 5 days in ages 10 -12 and the remaining 45 days in 13-16. Bongeka had to state that my PGCE was intermediate phase and she had to include the 5 days too or else the info would not have been correct and not correlate with my academic record. It is vital that whatever teaching prac modules are listed on your academic record match perfectly with the teaching prac letter too. Did you have some teaching prac days in primary?  As this will need to be included as they do have a system they check it against.

Thanks @JTurley

I see, thanks for the info. This is where the problem potentially comes in... My partner did 40 weeks of practical.  20 weeks was in primary phase (practical/code 1 and 2)

The other 20 weeks/100 days was at a intermediary to senior phase school. So basically she did her practical with a teacher who taught age group 10 through 15, however the majority of time was spent in age group 13-15. So I`m not sure how we will be able to break out the 45 days exclusively related to senior phase. 

Perhaps its best if I contact Bongeka or someone at the teaching prac office and ask what they have on file, since they do a check/comparison, before I waste any more time. Do you perhaps have her/his contact details? 

I advise you prep the letter and break it down exactly how YOU want it before asking Bongeka how to do it. Do you have an email address i can email my draft prac letter to?