Off to see the Wizard....

Roxton

Hi Everyone

I have been a guest on this site for the last 2 months and it has been very informative, so I have decided to sign in and introduce myself.

My name is Clayton and I am married, with a 3 year old daughter. As so many others have stated, I have similar reasons for immigrating such as crime, quality of education in SA, future for my daughter, etc, We have just started the process after much information gathering on the web and this site. I have decided to use an agent for peace of mind and am ready to sign up with Reuven from migrate2oz. I know the basic steps required and the process, but must say it looks daunting when you are at the beginning and looking at what is to come.

My wife is an ECD Teacher and as such will use her qualification and look to get a 189 Visa.

At this point, we are looking at going to Queensland, on the outskirts of Brisbane but this may change as I do further research. In the end, we will need to go where the work is and take it from there.

I know it is still a bit in the future, but would like to know if it would be a problem for me to go over to Australia first once the Visas are granted, seeing as though I was not the main applicant? At this stage, I am thinking that I would need to go over first to set-up a few things before the family joins. Any advice from people who may have done it this way before? Any other options.

Thanks for the help

• Like 1

Welcome @Roxton

Love the title :D

As far as I am aware, you could go first as a dependent, as long as your wife is also in Oz by the deadline (entry date) stipulated on your visa. The entry date is usually one year from when you received your police clearance certificates.

Hi @Roxton, welcome! I don't know the answer to your question about the sequence for entry, but I do know that it has cropped up several times, so I'm sure it's in other threads too.

Glad to hear you are keeping an open mind regarding your destination, I'm sure it will help you settle down. Also just as an aside, even though your wife is the main applicant, she does not need to be the main 'worker' in the family once you are over (189 visas). In our case I am the main applicant but my husband found work within three weeks of starting to apply, and for various reasons I'm still looking for work. Obviously I don't know what your family setup is, but it's possible that you might find work easier, depending on what you do. It's just one of the crazy margin things about the Aussie visa system ;) 

Hey @Roxton

We have had this discussion many times here. Generally the answer is its a bad idea. The reason is you will be out here making decisions like where to live. You need your family to be involved in those big decisions. 

But yes, you can come out here on your own. If you are a PR then you can come out forever. 

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

Yea, good point @monsta. It can be surprisingly tough to find your feet upon first landing, and having your partner with you can help a lot. Case in point: Last night my husband was looking up TVs online, to compare prices etc. I saw what he was doing and asked if he'd had a quick look at DVD players as well, since he mentioned that he wanted to stick to one brand to minimise remotes. "Nope, but that's easy, there is only like one, maybe two per manufacturer, so it's not complicated." 15min later he turns to me with big eyes and goes "Woah...the range is so much bigger here, I'm kinda lost between all the options." So the weirdest things can totally surprise you, just because it's different to what you're used to. And these things can really stack up in the first weeks. It's fine if you have to deal with them one by one, but it gets to you when you reach the end of the day and you've already: picked strange food, had to ask for help at the self cash out, missed your turn off because you didn't realise that was a perfectly legal u-turn you should have taken, been surprised by the car rego that's more than you expected, and missed the open house you should have attended because you were 20 min late and it was over. This can happen, and when it does it can just sap your resolve and mental energy. This is where partner support can help a lot.

Good luck with your planning and logistics phase. Just shout if you need help/ have questions.

@Roxton

Always two sides to the coin.....:D I came over before my wife & 22 month old son. It was the best decision for us, it gave me time to settle in and get use to how things work here. Six weeks later I returned to South Africa and came back with them. My wife agrees that it was the best decision ever, purely from the point of view of having a toddler with us. When she came over I was prepared and knew how things work in Australia.....licenses, Medicare, and hunting for a car.....It also meant spending less money on AirBnB. I had a job before arriving in Australia, one of the luck ones.... Just imagine not having a job and the financial expenses you might have until you find a job, yet so many people do it in this way and survive just fine! We rented an apartment until we found a house.

I get having your spouse with you, but it can also add stress.

Every man for himself I guess....and different for everybody.

Good luck & welcome!

Geite

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies, you have definitely given me more to think about. It is so awesome to be able to bounce ideas around with people who have the experience, so that you can make an informed decision.

As has been stated, there are pros and cons to doing it that way. My reasoning would have been similar to @Geite and obviously I would like to make the transition as easy for my wife and daughter as possible. Fortunately we still have some time to make the decision.

I have just signed with and paid the initial fees to the agent, so have 'officially' started the process B). Always seems more real once you have paid over some money ...ha ha. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roxton said:

Thanks for all the replies, you have definitely given me more to think about. It is so awesome to be able to bounce ideas around with people who have the experience, so that you can make an informed decision.

Yup! And it helps even more if you can get insight into different approaches. At the end of the day immigration, from the reasons to the process and one's attitude towards it, is a very personal thing. You know yourself and your situation better than any of us do, so listen to what everyone has to say and then make up your own mind :P