DVD's and Playstation (2)

Guest Seoul Sister

Guest Seoul Sister

Hi there,

I have been wondering about DVD's and Playstation in Australia. Could you please tell me which zoning Australia falls in ? (Please don't give me a number, ;) , e.g. zone 1, as this won't mean a thing to me). Can you watch DVD's from the UK in Australia ? And DVD's bought in the far East ? Can you order DVD's from Amazon in the USA and watch them, or do you need to order from the Amazon in the UK ? I also want to know the same about Playstation. We have a Playstation (2) which we bought here in Korea. Will it be compatible with the games sold in Australia ? Are Playstation games from SA compatible with Oz machines ?

Thanks a lot

Love

SS

:ilikeit:

Hi There,

When we got here we bought a new DVD player (Panasonic) and when we tried to watch some the DVD’s we bought from South Africa, they did not work, same issue as you, the zone thing.

A friend of mine said that they had the same thing, and all that we need to do is call Panasonic and they will give us instructions to enable to DVD to play all zones.

I have not tried this myself yet, as to be honest I am enjoying not watching “barney goes to the zoo” 24 hours a day.

;-)

The point is maybe there is a setting or a string of commands which will allow you to watch all DVD’s.

Cheers

Guest Seoul Sister

Hi there Nadine,

Thanks for responding ! I had a good little giggle at "Barney goes to the zoo" as our equivalent is "The Incredibles" which we now have 3 * differently zoned * copies of ! :ilikeit:

Found the following which at least explains the numbers that techies are forever throwing around to confuse ppl like me.. :ilikeit:

The DVD world is divided into six regions. This was done in order to protect agreements between the distributors and publishers of movie titles. The idea is to prevent movies released for one market from being played in other markets where the movie has not been released. The regions are:

1. North America, U.S Territories and Canada.

2. Europe, South Africa, Japan, Middle East and Egypt.

3. East and Southeast Asia.

4. Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central & South America and the Carribean.

5. The Indian Subcontinent, the former Soviet Union, North Korea, Africa and Mongolia

6. China.

Although regional coding by software publishers is optional, according to the DVD Forum and international trade agreements, DVD players can only be sold with one region code. This means that if you bought a DVD player in Singapore or Hong Kong (region 3), it will not play DVD software made for South Africa (region 2).

I am now reading through some computer geek, highly technical mumbo-jumbo to try and figure out the hacking vs manufacturing stuff. *sigh* This is what happens when you leave the technical stuff to the men. :ilikeit::D

Will let you know when I know more... ;)

Love

Seoul Sister

:)

We have 2 DVD players, both bought in NZ which is Zone 4, like Aus (oops no numbers remember :ilikeit: ) but they're both Multizoned. I have ordered DVD'd from South Africa's Kalahari.net (Schuster and The Gods must be Crazy series, etc) and the kids have received a few DVD'd from SA as gifts, all labelled as Zone 2. The same goes for my Zone 1 and zone 3 DVD's. No worries there.

Nadine is correct that many brand name DVD players simply need a string of codes entered. If the rep is kind he'll tell you what they are (unofficially) otherwise a Google search will suffice.

The DVD players on the PC's are easily multizoned with software.

Can't comment from the top of my head on the games though.

We brought our RSA DVD Player and RSA DVD's with us to Aus.

The RSA DVD's play on the new Aus DVD player we bought here (with the exception of one or two that would not work on my daughter's portable DVD player we also bought in Aus - don't know why.....).

The Aus DVD's play on our RSA DVD player - no problem.

I know that we could not play DVD's bought in Canada on our RSA DVD player (they are NTSC, RSA & Aus is on PAL - I suppose USA would also be on NTSC). This is all I know - hope this helps...?

SS

I could be wrong but if memory serves me correctly, my hubby mentioned something about it working...SA playstation with Aus games.

as far as I know it again has to do with NTSC and Pal. SA and Aus both Pal.

BUT confirm this first if u can...not sure and hubby not home to ask now! <_<