Minimum IELTS band for PR189

Jamyn

Question

Good day, 

I would like to find out if someone can please assist me? I received an overall 7.0 for the IELTS General test (Listening 6.5, Reading 6.5,Writing 7.0,Speaking 8.0), will I be able to apply for an independent skilled PR 189 visa or will I have to get a 7 in each category?

Thanks so much!

Edited by Jamyn

3 answers to this question

It dependents on what you skill assement authority requires and secondly if you need the extra points to make up your 60 points. At this stage you will receive 0 points towards your eoi for ielts assement. In short you have past the minimum requirement which i believe is 6 for each category.

What often happens, but not always, is that the skills assessing authority like VETASSESS or Engineers Australia, or whatever body governs your occupation, might have a higher requirement than just the visa requirement. So just make sure you cover all the requirements that apply to you. And remember that the visa people look at the lowest band that you got and give you points according to that. (I think it's unfair, but that's how they work.) So for the points test you would come in at "above 6 in each band".