Which IELTS test must you do?

Beanie

Question

Hi

The IELTS website says that you must check which version of the IELTS you need to do. How do you know which version is the right one? This is for a 189 visa for general accountant. 

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Whilst you would only require General for the Visa itself, you may require Academic for the Skills Assessment.

• Like 1

It should be the IELTS General test. PTE (computer based) only has an academic version

1 hour ago, TeeTMI said:

Whilst you would only require General for the Visa itself, you may require Academic for the Skills Assessment.

Thanks @TeeTMI - so how do I determine which one?

Good morning @Beanie,

Have a look at the assessing authorities website, for your specific skill, it should state whether your specific skill requires an academic or general IELTS test. My skills for example are assessed through ACS, and they require me to do a general IELTS test. 

What I have noted is that mostly when you will be teaching (not specifically teaching in school), that they require academic, whereas most occupations just require general. Please also note that this is not a definite rule, but just my own conclusions, I would advise rather checking the skills assessment authorities website to be 100% sure. Should you not find the information in their website drop them an email rather than just doing you are doing the right test version, or doing the academic, maybe getting lower scores, without you having needed to do so. 

• Like 1