Visiting RSA: Cash & Phones

RYLC

Asking for a friend as its a long time since I made a trip: 

What are the options for getting a sim for data on an iPad? Who would you buy from, good price, is buying at the airport an option etc. The relos that side are not tech savvy so can't help. 

Would you take cash rand or just use a credit card?  

If cash is needed, how much would do for just the incidentals of buying coffee / meal / magazine at the airport? The friend is staying with family so his accommodation needs are taken care of. 

• 3 weeks later...

We bought South African prepaid SIM cards at CNA in Randburg Center. Very helpful sales assistant put them in, activated them etc. you can get them anywhere, supermarket and so on.

you need cash from the moment you land. We took a card that the bank gave us for overseas travel which we preloaded with $$$. Then we just drew rands from the ATM. Many people gave different advice. I think you can just use your eftpos or credit card but check with bank and other friends who travel a lot from AUS.

At first we just had $$$. We tipped with that and didn't realis we were tipping 10x going rate even though it wasn't much in $. To put it in perspective, parking at a shopping centre for 3 hrs is R5 = AU0.50 which is a good tip for someone pushing your trolley at the airport.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 22/12/2017 at 0:27 AM, new2forum said:

apparently new rule in SA, well its been in for awhile now you need ID to buy a sim card?

Basically it's a crime prevention rule, your identity needs to be linked to the sim card you buy so that if a phone with that sim is used in crime, you can be held responsible. Honestly I don't know if any crimes have been solved using this but we've all had to be identified for many years now for cell use. I think the rule is called RICA but can't remember what it stands for. 

My suggestion is make sure you have a form of ID (i.e. passport) with you, and possibly also a proof of address - it shouldn't take up any space in your packing for the holiday and avoids hassles.