LOL

Question

Hi everyone

Ive been looking but unable to find this specific info.

Im an electrician and am just about to start the immigration process with my wife and two daughters.

I am qualified through olifants but do not have a wiremans... Are there any electricians who would be able to specify if i need a wiremans before looking for work in Aus? 

From what I can tell, it looks like all I need is my red seal...

Thank you for any replys to this.

2 answers to this question

Hi

Your red seal means nothing in Australia as does your wiremans. You will be assessed by Vettassess. Once you arrive here you will need to apply for a provisional license. This allows you to work for an electrical contractor in order to gain Australian experience. You will do their version of the wiremens. Unless you come over as an electrical fitter.

Getting a job here from South Africa is not easy as there are alot of local electricians looking for work at the moment. If you have a unique skill set this could maybe help you.

Feel free to pop me a mail if you have any specific questions. I will do my best to help you.

Edited by ShaunT
  • Like 1

Thanks Shaun.

To answer my own question for future searchers...

1.You do not need a wiremans as it means nothing and you will need to do gap training once over plus work under the supervision of an Australian electrician for up to a year (they can sign you off earlier if they feel you are competent). You obviously need your trade certificate to apply for the visa in the first place which counts 10 points towards your final score.

2.You must complete your skills assessment through vetassess (written and then if your written is desireable you receive a date to do your practical - 660$ plus 1650$) if completed successfully you receive your OTSR - offshore technical skills record, this enables you to start looking for work in aus.

3. Not confirmed but Ive heard that the vet assess assessor, depending on how well you do in your practical can recommend less training time in Aus or even suggest no training time (I doubt this to be true but a migration agent told me it is).

4. From the few job searches ive done in Sydney and Perth, there are companies specifically looking for overseas and unlicensed electricians to start work on large developements so there are definately jobs out there. I recommend you apply for your white card (quick online application) which enables you to work on construction sites in Australia even if you don't intend to work on a construction site you might end up finding work on one.

Good luck!