Working anywhere on a 190 visa

Did anyone receive a 190 state sponsorship visa for NSW but ended up working within a different state within the first 2 years? I know the state issuing the visa wants you to work in that state, but I've heard alot of agents and immigrants saying since the visa states its permanent residence and not the code of the visa, it's okay if you end up living in another state. But might this not affect your application for citizenship negatively? Also, we want to go where we can find work, but the 190 visa is our ticket in. 

If you accept the "ticket" then you have to sit in the seat.  I know WA have cancelled visas in the past for people who just moved without permission.  You have to make a concerted effort to find work and it is up to you to do the research of whether there are jobs for you in that state.  Just because the occupation is on the skills list doesn't mean there are jobs in the field.  Actually in some cases the occupation is on the list because the state doesn't have any of them and would like to have that skill / industry in their state. Have a look at Seek.com.au to check whether the state has vacancies listed for your occupation.

Having said that, if you can't find work in NSW in your field then you are not trying, have not tailored your cv, are being too picky, aren't willing to step down a few levels, etc.  Sydney (in NSW) is one of the largest cities with the most vacancies. 

• Like 4

Totally agree with RYLC, I've seen this discussion many times on expat forums. Abuse is the primary reason why they take away nice things (people taking advantage).

At the end of the day its up to you how flexible your ethics are - if someone offers you a helping hand, are you really willing to give them a slap in the face....

• Like 4

Although I agree with both RYLC and Queque, you asked a question to which you would like an answer.

If you have really tried your best to find work and settle in NSW, but after, say three months, you are still sitting without a job, THEN, if you can find employment in another state, the probability of NSW releasing you, is high. YOU HAVE TO CONTACT them first, before you accept the job offer.

I would be surprised though, if you cannot find employment in NSW!

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1