Firearms

MargotOrch

Question

I have 2 sentimental family heirloom firearms. What do I need to do to be able to take these over? 

7 answers to this question

There are some fact sheets here: https://www.border.gov.au/Busi/Impo/Proh/Firearms-and-weapons

It also looks like you'll need a Collector's Licence and these are issued state by state so you'll need to comply with the state you are going to (and also each time you move state).

Also the firearm needs to be made permanently inoperable. This has to be done by a licenced armourer. Not sure on costs.

To render a firearm permanently inoperable the following actions could be taken:

If the firing pin can be removed as a separate item: the pin must be removed and the end of the pin hole nearest the chamber must be closed with weld.
If the firing pin cannot be removed as a separate item: the pin must be ground or cut so that it cannot strike a round of ammunition in the chamber.
The chamber must be made incapable of taking a round of ammunition by welding a steel insert into the end of the chamber or welding a steel rod vertically across the chamber.
The firing mechanism must be immobilised by welding its internal components together and to the trigger.

More info here: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=australia+collector's+firearms+licence&rlz=1C1GKLA_enAU726AU727&oq=australia+collector's+firearms+licence&aqs=chrome..69i57.2116j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

For most people it definitely falls into the "too hard" basket.

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 1

They don't have to be made inoperable if they are working firearms. Laws vary from state to state but if you want to import them you need an import permit. You can  also only import firearms via a licensed firearm dealer. This has to happen via one in SA and the other here in Australia.Before you can import these firearms, if they are operable, you need to apply for the correct licenses to own for each firearm. Licensing laws vary from state to state so check carefully before starting the process. It is a lengthy process but can be done. Just remember that Australia has some of the strictest gun laws in the world so you may be unsuccessful with the application. If you have a look on the forum you'll find that this topic has been discussed previously so you may find more information. Good luck.

• Like 1

When we investigated this for Queensland we were told that we could display it in our home if we had a collectors licence and it was made inoperable. Ours was an heirloom but also operable at the time.  We were told that if we wanted it to remain operable then we would need a firearm licence, a gun club membership and the firearm would need to be stored at the gun club.

There is a lot to investigate and since rules differ by state, I posted links for further reading. You'll have to do some research because it also depends on what sort of firearm, year of manufacture.  Lots and lots of variables...

• Like 1

You'll also need to consider that as a relatively gun free society, the average Aussie isn't used to seeing guns.  Having these firearms on display in your home may be social suicide for your children since their parents won't want them seeing such things.  I've just asked this question on a mainly mums forum I'm on here in Oz and they overwhelmingly said that they wouldn't let their kids visit and would discourage the friendship.  Sounds harsh but there it is... thought you might want to know... IF you get them in, don't have them on show

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 2

Just linking to this article published today about a national gun amnesty.  Not because guns are illegal as such but just to give an idea of the opinion about guns in general in Australia.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-16/government-establishes-national-gun-amnesty/8622468

My experience is different...there's an anti-gun sentiment from the left but they're anti many things. Quite surprised they haven't yet petitioned for motor vehicles to be banned considering the damage they cause both to the environment and in terms of loss of life!

Generally, from what I've seen people aren't opposed to firearms, at least in so far as responsible and legal ownership is concerned. I've met people both male and female who are involved in some sort of firearm related sport - clay, target, military etc and at face value I would've mistakenly assumed that what they know about firearms is the typical sensationalist BS regurgitated by the press every so often.

The OPs post was vague, but it doesn't seem as though there there was an intention to display, couldn't imagine why an operable firearm wouldn't be securely stored in any event. If however the reason for retention is purely sentimental, RYLC's suggestion to make them inoperable would make more sense. It would cost in terms of both engaging a gunsmith as well as import I would guess, so the sentimental value would have to be significant.

If you intend to use them for sporting/hunting purposes then what Peter touched on is correct - club membership, firearms licence and the services of a registered dealer either side to facilitate the import/export. Handguns would potentially be a more complicated process.

• Like 1

We are importing an air rifle and a .303 rifle, and so far it seems quite possible. We live in Victoria and the intention is indeed to be active at a local rifle club with the air rifle, and occasionally to shoot on a range with the .303
We have spoken to a local importer who is happy to help us, @GenDemo has a thread up somewhere with our experience so far. The rifles are not yet in Aus though, so we still have to see how it goes. But he's done his tests and is now in the process of doing the application for a permit to own a rifle.

Handguns are indeed a whole different kettle of fish. Much more difficult, as they don't really want them with private citizens.