On our way

Melb2017

Hi :)

First, thanks so much to everyone who has shared so much information on this site - I have spent the past few months reading and feel so much more prepared than we would have been. Seeing as we are off to Melbourne this month I thought I would stop lurking and say hi. We have a PR visa that has been active for a couple of years, but the timing with first one baby and then another hasn't been right to make the big move. Fortunately I have a job offer in Melbourne so we are going with work lined up, for which we are very grateful. I will be leaving next week, and my husband and children (aged 3 and 5) will follow a couple of weeks later. The thought of going ahead on my own, and especially missing my babies, is pretty daunting to be honest. However I am going to be staying with wonderful friends which is a huge plus, and the kids will just have to skype with mommy every day until they come.

Anyway, that is our story in a nutshell. Feeling a mixture of excited and anxious and sad and relieved to finally be starting this journey.

Looking really forward to getting to know everyone here better :)

• Like 6

Hope you and your family will be very happy here. Great that you already have good friends here!

Welcome to Melbourne :) Rug up warm, enjoy the coffee and shout out if you need help, advice, or company ;) 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and soon to Australia!

Moving countries is a massive thing and doing it without your family, especially your babies and your moral support (hubby) may not be the best thing.  Those early days are really quite lonely (even WITH family) and you may find yourself doubting your decision to leave South Africa. 

In our case, our kids were older (11 & 18) and hubby left first, myself an the 11 year old followed 2 weeks later and the 18 year old another 2 weeks later.  I was an absolute emotional wreck by the time I arrived and I was worried sick until we were all together again. 

If at all possible, I'd come together as a family.

Good luck with everything!  It's hard but it's worth it!

• Like 1

Hi Riekie

Thanks so much for your reply and sharing your experience. I agree with you 100% - I am so apprehensive about not doing this together. Unfortunately from every direction we have tried to look at it, we can't see how to make it work to go as a family. I am actually less worried about myself - I will be staying with good friends who have a warm loving home full of children and activity. And I will start work 4 days after I arrive. My bigger worry is for my hubby needing to wrap everything up on this side on his own, and most of all for my kiddies, who are still really small and a week away from mommy is going to be very hard :( The only good thing is that they will stay in school in their familiar environments until they leave, and many of my friends and my mom will be popping by to take the kids out for treats and support my hubby.

Nevertheless, we are fully committed to making this work. Reading on this forum from all of those who have so generously shared their stories has prepared us. We know it is going to be hugely hard, and lonely, and that we will second guess ourselves, and miss friends and family terribly. And coming in Winter is probably not going to help either. I have actually spent the last 4-5 weeks grieving. But we know why we are doing this, and we will make it work! And having a forum like this to lean on for support is such a blessing :)

Hi Melb2017. I believe you met my wife this week, I'm the once that made the massive u-turn in December. I think a week is going to fly by and before you know it all of you are going to be together again.

• Like 1

@Melb2017 All the best with the journey and the time apart.

My husband left on the 19th of May for Sydney and I packed up my house and moved into a holiday rental with 3 kids. I will only be joining him at the beginning of July (kids and I fly 3 July) We decided that as a family of 5 to arrive altogether would put a strain on the finances and stress levels would be high. The idea was to finish up the term - kids and I as I am a teacher - and therefore our routine would remain sort of intact. 

It is a strain and with only 3 and 1/2 weeks to go we are all getting a little frazzled BUT we feel this has been a good move. Hubby has been able to secure a rental and a car and has had the freedom to pursue job leads without the stress of kids(and wife:D)

Realistically the time difference has been the pain but we have skyped every Saturday morning and I whatsapp call hubby early before we all head to school. 

This has worked for us - not easy by any means - but the end result will be that we go straight into a house we will live in for a year and hopefully hubby will have a job on the horizon by July.

And.....we come through stronger and more appreciative of this new journey ahead of us all!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

How did the landing go?