Accountant code on visa

Hi there, 

I would like to find out for which code would be best to apply for on the 189 PR visa? My husband is a CA(SA) and has been working as a Financial Manager for the past 16 months.

Which code would be the best for him to apply with? He can obviously do the duties in both.  132211 Financial Manager or 221111 General Accountant.

Thank you in advance:-)

Hi Jamyn, I am not an immigration agent or anything like that but here are my thoughts:

For a  Skilled Independent 189 visa, his occupation has to appear on the  Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL). On the list there is only 221111 General Accountant and 221213 External auditor. 132211 Financial Manager is not on the list so I don't think he can use that.

Keep in mind the following:

- For External auditor his points will be limited to the  articles period (and any time if he stayed on)

- For general accountant he can claim work experience for the period as above plus the 16 months as a financial manager. But there is a lot of demand for this occupation, he will require at least 70 points and there is a ceiling on the number of invites that can be issued each month. I think External auditor is also heading in that direction too though so I thin General accountant would be the best bet.

Any comments, can anyone else out there verify if the above info is accurate?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Jamyn,

Pathfinder is right, you must use the skilled occupations list to make your determination.  You would naturally want to choose the "skill" which would give you the most points and this is often connected to your relevant experience.
If you do have the option of more than one skill code you can use, look at where the best job opportunities are and then decide.  I can tell you that you would be very wise to look at regional areas to find employment as you may well be able to obtain state sponsorship.  In particular, North Queensland struggles to find senior accounting staff, particularly external audititors, and it is possible to get an exception to the rules on accountants if you are willing to settle in a regional area, in Queensland at least.  
I think most people want to go to the bigger centres, but let me assure you that life in regional Australia is awesome and a great place to bring up kids!

Hope that helps.

Alan

Hello Jamyn,

I see this post was from back in June so I am not sure why it was bumped?  Either way if you have not progressed this as yet there are a a number of factors to consider when choosing the best occupation to use for migration. 

If you would like me to do a free assessment of your options drop me an email on the details below.

Regards