457 to 186

Andrias

Question

Hi Friends,

Hope someone might be able to confirm my assumption or provide some clarity on the subject.

I came to Australia in December 2012 on a 457 visa. I was a secondary applicant on my Dad's 457 as I was still studying at Uni when they applied - visa was granted July 2012.

At around January 2016 I realised I had to go onto my own visa as my Dad's 457 was nearing expiry - he just had to renew his visa with his current employer (no problem for him and my Mum but problem for me because I was basically "independent" at that stage). 

In July 2016 I was granted my own 457 with my current employer (whom I have been working for 1 Year and 7 Months at that stage - ICT Business Analyst). 

As of today I've been working for my employer for 2 years and 6 Months (of which 9 Months is sponsored employment under my own 457 visa). An agent has advised me that I'm eligible to apply for a 186 as I satisfy the 2 year employment requirement. However, to my understanding the 2 year employment requirement commences from date of sponsorship and the previous period of employment is not considered as I was not the primary applicant on the 457 visa 

Which one is correct?

Thank you for your time in responding, I much appreciate it.

Regards

Andre Meyer

3 answers to this question

@Andrias I think this may be something for our great migration experts to answer @TeeTMI and @SD_MOA I am sure either of them, will be able to give you the advice you require.

As far as I understand it, it is 2 years working for a sponsor with the same ABN.

But yours is a unique situation... As Mara said, you probably need to ask an agent.

Yup, better ask the pro's.

@SD_MOA and @TeeTMI are our locals