Sponsorship 190 visa - However opting for another state

Hi.   I recently read an article on linked in which describes the obligatory component of the visa.  Apparently there is a moral obligation to go to your sponsoring state not a legal obligation. Any ideas , from people that have opted out. It's a catch 22 as job opportunities maybe be limited in sponsor states. 

Yes, you can get out of it.. however.. you really need to show that you have tried to settle in the sponsoring state and tried to find a job... if you are not going to make an attempt to do so, the sponsoring state may be unhappy with you and that could impact on other applicants in future. In general, if you offer the proof that you have tried, but been unsuccessful, the sponsoring state will generally be happy to release you from your obligation.

• Like 2

@Anusha

HI Anusha,

I recently asked my migration agent the same question and it is true that it is a moral obligation but not a legal one. It depends though on which state you are applying to in terms of how they see the obligation as well as if you can get released from it. Some states, as Mara stated do grant you a release if you tried hard and couldn't find work. I am looking at a 190 for NSW and according to their website https://www.industry.nsw.gov.au/live-and-work-in-nsw/visas-and-immigration/skilled-nominated-migration-190 they don't grant letters of release.

So my conclusion was, if we go for it, then we would abide by the moral obligation because you never know if they change the laws or later down the line become stricter and then when you apply to renew your PR or apply for citizenship you get screwed. But that's just my personal opinion. :)

• Like 1

I am also leaning towards "better be safe than sorry!". I am hoping in Jul 2017 they will open up my job category for NSW where I really want to go so I can apply for EOI there. 

Hi

Personally, i feel that you owe it to the Australian state that sponsored you to try your very best to get a job there. While other states may look more appealing and have better beaches, I feel that you need to honor your commitment.

If you really cannot find a job, then by all means chat with them and see if they will release you.

• Like 2

I agree with FingersCrossed. I was sponsored by South Australia and settled in Adelaide. It was a nail biter to get settled and find a job, but not impossible.

Even though there was no legal obligation, I've been phoned 4 times to check on my well being and status. To put it in perspective, unemployment is about the 7% level. Adelaide has a large proportion of small businesses which can complicate things. This is not head office central, so it depends on you skill sets, aspirations and where you see yourself.

What I would advise, given the larger context of the proposed changes in citizenship, is stick to your visa conditions legal and moral.

• Like 3