Biometrics required for visitor visa

Clarkies

Question

Hi!
Help please!!!
Has anyone had family visiting recently or assisted with family getting a visitors visa to come to Australia ?
I've just done an online visa application for my dad only to be emailed (after payment I might add!!!) that biometrics are now required within 14 days....i.e. My dad will have to travel to Pretoria to have electronic fingerprints done and his retina's scanned. 
Is this a new requirement? Has anyone else had to deal with this?

Feeling so disappointed as this is a big ask for my Dad to travel to Pretoria at this stage.

5 answers to this question

I did a visitors visa application for a friend who recently visited and she also had to do the bio metrics. It's been a requirement for at least 2 years now. My wife's parents didn't need to do it with their last visa (2 year visa) which has just recently expired.

Edited by HadEnoughofJuju

Yup.  When I got my visitor's visa last year, I had to get biometrics done - fingerprints and a photograph (not sure about the retina scan, unless they were scanning my retinas and I thought they were simply taking a photo!).  The advantage is that it's all automatic, and you don't need to get a visa stamp in your passport.  First world and all that.  

I understand about your Dad having to travel to Pretoria though, when you weren't expecting it.  Is there not a closer office? You didn't say where he lives.  I nearly had a heart attack when I realised I had to get this done, until I realised that I could have it done in Durban and didn't need to go to Pretoria.  

Question, just for knowledge sake...

If you have already done biometrics once eg. for tourist visa purposes, do you have to do it again each time you apply for a visitors visa thereafter? Or is once good enough forever...until they require locks of hair or something changes...

My mother recently came over on a visitors visa and yes she also had to do biometrics, around R820 I think. Not sure if it needs to be done each and every time they apply, unfortunately I think I know the answer