Renting a safe place in Melbourne

Neel & Jo

Hi all

My wife and I arrived in Melbourne a few days ago,

her company is paying for us to stay in a hotel for the first 2 weeks, and I must say

we are enjoying this city, they placed us in a suburb, called Dandenong, for the first

week, and then we placed in the city center for the next week.

I have been busy researching cars and houses.. while the wife is at work.

I need to know which areas to avoid, for whatever reason..as far i can see

all places look nice..lol We came from jo'burg, so i am very skeptical of my surroundings..lol

Also any advice on buying a car in Melbourne would be appreciated.

Our budget for rent is about $250 per week, and we have no kids...

Any help or info, would mean the world to us.

Thanks

Neel and Joanne

I have sent you an email with my personal details. If you would like to give us a call, we will certainly try and assist with any information you may need.

First, try and find a place to live as close as possible to your wife's work. If she works in the city, then try and find a suburb on a train route, much quicker than tram or bus. A good website to use, once you have an idea where you wish to live is

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsear...en&snf=rbs&a=sf

On the following websites you will find plenty of cars for sale.

http://www.carsales.com.au/

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Int...Primary/my+car/

http://www.drive.com.au/

Good luck!

Hi Mara

Thank you for your details, and all the websites, that will certainly keep me busy for a while ;)

We are still getting used to the idea of using trains and buses..lol

but we are slowly venturing out, and hope to do alot more exploring in the

city this weekend.

Keep well

thanks again

Neel and Joanne

I'm afraid that Dandenong is one of the worst suburbs in Melbourne, in my opinion. High crime and low income.

If you didn't mind it there, then you'll be happy anywhere... ;)

In terms of cars, what size/shape are you thinking?

Hi

Interesting info..I spoke to a few people at the hotel, they also agree with you,

but would not tell me what exactly happens here..

We are currently staying at the Ramada Encore opposite Dandenong plaza.

the company is moving us to the Pacific International hotel on Bourke street on Saturday,

how is that area by the way ?

I would really love to know when you say high crime, what sort of crime occurs please.

We left SA to kinda get away from all of that and would not want to end up in a worse area than jo'burg..lol

As for cars, because we just arrived, and no-one will fiance us..i assume..

I have about $5k -> $6k cash for a vehicle budget.

something reliable

I know where your hotel is. And the one in Bourke Street.

Well, in terms of crime, it's nowhere near the likes of South Africa - nowhere in Australia is that bad, but Dandenong does have a lot of immigrants and is a bit of a mixed pot. When I say immigrants, I mean people from all countries, Sudan, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, China, Greece, Turkey, Nigeria... you get the point. Not saying any immigrants are better than others, but with such a melting pot, you're bound to get a lot of low skilled people, some refugees and crime tends to follow communities that are a mish-mash.

Murder has been known to happen, but it's not common at all. You'll mostly find drug related crime, car thefts, muggings, graffiti, etc.

Again, I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill, but put it this way - I wouldn't live in Dandenong, and I wouldn't walk around there at night.

In terms of Bourke Street, it's right in the CBD. In my opinion it's one of the safest CBD's in the world, but you're never 100% safe in a big city.

I can say one thing about Dandenong - you're in the right area to be buying a second hand car. Check out all the dealerships in Londsdale road, (not to be confused with Londsdale Street in the City) and the next adjoining road (can't remember it's name...) If you know the obvious signs to look for in terms of what's a dodgy car and what's not, then you could pick up a good deal. For $5000 to $6000 you'd be looking at older cars, but you might be lucky and pick up something that's around 1998 / 1999 with 150,000 on the clock.

Hi

Thanks for info on areas, and the detailed info on crime, everyone was so secretive in telling me

that sorta things.but now i have a good idea.

Well, i am glad then to be moving to the city for week.

I just discovered that a job opportunity is comming up in BroadMeadows at the main shopping center,

so we want to live in the middle somewhere between Broadmeadows and the city, can u recommend any suburbs ?

I have been on the street you speak of for cars seen lots there...

I hope i have some decent sense and experience in cars...lol

thanks again for all your help :whome:

Kind Regards

Neel and Joanne

No problem at all, Happy to help!

Broadmeadows is West, I don't know much about the Western Area I'm afraid, so I can't really help there.

Maybe somebody else here can comment on West...

Good luck!

Hi Neel and Jo

If you are looking for something in the West, then I suggest you perhaps look at Sunbury, on the northwest side of Melbourne, approx 18kms past the airport. I work in Tullamarine where the airport is based, and Broadmeadows is certainly not far from it. Sunbury is a lovely place to live, we are now quite a few SA's making up it's population.