Visa 189 spouse name to use in application

Ruizinho

Question

My wife has changed her name. Her passport which is still valid reflects her maiden name. Do I use her maiden name in the visa applocation to match her passport or should I use her new name instead in the application? 

4 answers to this question

I have no idea...

With the new passport applications online, it is really very quick. I would perhaps get a new passport and delay the application with 2 weeks, then you know that you are sorted. Then you also have it valid for longer which means you might not have to renew it on the other side....

• Like 1

As far as I understand, the visa will be issued to match her name in her passport. A colleague at work had the same thing happen: his wife's visa was issued with her maiden name, but they did a change request afterwards to have it changed to her married name (no idea if / how complicated that is). It would probably be easier just to get a new passport than to have to liaise with DIBP afterwards to change visa details. Up to you. 

Edited by CazK
  • Like 1

Thank you all very much for the reply. In future I hope to assist others as you have me.

Regards

Rui

On 5/16/2017 at 9:52 PM, CazK said:

As far as I understand, the visa will be issued to match her name in her passport. A colleague at work had the same thing happen: his wife's visa was issued with her maiden name, but they did a change request afterwards to have it changed to her married name (no idea if / how complicated that is). It would probably be easier just to get a new passport than to have to liaise with DIBP afterwards to change visa details. Up to you. 

Interesting to know. Thank you.