Australian Police Check Fingerprint Requirements?

Hey guys

My Wife and I are here on 457 visas and we are now applying for PR via the direct stream and getting all our documents together. 

Among other things they ask for an Australian Police Check. After some searching it seems you need to complete an online form and then go into your nearest police station. However, it doesn't say whether you need fingerprints or not for this type of thing. The online form gives you the option to do it for fingerprints or just a name/birth date check. There's a pretty big difference in price - the fingerprint version is $189 - so I don't really want to pay extra unless it's actually necessary. 

Does anyone know what the police check requirements are for PR applications? FYI - my wife and I are South Africans, but we both have British Passports and that's what our Visas are on. Not sure if that makes a difference. 

Any info would be appreciated. 

Not sure about NSW but here in QLD you simply go into the police station with a current form of photo ID and tell you want a police clearance. They take a copy of the ID and $56 and it's done. No fingerprints required. Can't think it would be much different in NSW.