Work experience confusion

StrayaMate

Hi everyone! Hope y'all are doing well.

I am very confused about the work experience points aspect of the visa application process. I have always been an ICT professional, starting off as a Junior Programmer in 1999 and working my way up to Business Systems Analyst today. I have 4 years of "official" experience in the latter role, because I was appointed as a BSA 4 years ago. Which leads me to wanting to apply under the ICT Business Analyst job classification. But the 4 years of experience only gains me 5 points right now, which is fine. But an immigration consultant is telling me that I might be able to get 15 points. I can't quite make out how they would justify that considering that the work experience part of the visa application is so clearly defined, i.e. you have to prove that you've performed the job responsibilities in a specific role with a certain amount of years of experience. I can't see how my other 14 years of IT experience will contribute to the 4 years I've had as BSA if I have to specifically apply under the ICT Business Analyst classification.

Or am I getting all of this wrong? Can somebody shed some light on my dilemma? Because I certainly don't want to spend any money on an immigration consultant (or even doing this myself!) if I don't understand how it works.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by StrayaMate

A Charted Accountant can apply as a general accountant. For that, all you need is a degree in accounting. While studying towards a CA, most people work experience in a Charted Accountants firm. That work experience counts towards your VISA as you wouldn't not have gotten that job without a degree in accounting.  You might not have been a full CA then, but you aren't applying as a CA., while being a work experience kid you were doing a job you needed to have the skill of a "general accountant" to do.

Your agent is probably thinking along those lines. You might not need to apply as a BSA if your work experience could better match another skills on the skills list.

But as always, if you are unsure about your agent... then contact a MARA registered agent. They have a code of conduct to stick to, so they will be clear on the costs of their service and won't give you unreasonable hope of getting a VISA. Its illegal for an agent to operate in Australia without being MARA registered. So, if the agent lies to you about your VISA prospects, then the MARA could take away his job. That is why many people on the forum recommend MARA registered agents who are based in Aussie. Just post a reply here asking for a recommendation on a MARA agent.

19 hours ago, StrayaMate said:

I can't see how my other 14 years of IT experience will contribute to the 4 years I've had as BSA

No reason why you cannot do your own application but you have not been clear in what they asked for and where your 14 years dont fit. While you need to give then exactly what they asked for it is about timing, the route you take (via RPL or not) and how you will document it.

Which exact ANZSCO Code do you apply under? 261111

While a systems analyst (is more technical) and business analyst (is more user specific) roles are different but complementary, often the BA also needs to do the technical requirements and that is where your previous experience comes in.

https://more.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/128035/ANZSCO-Code-Information-2017.pdf ( this doc gives an outline of job skills needed)

https://more.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria-2014.pdf (this doc gives the criteria used for assessment)

https://more.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/7319/Skills-Assessment-Guidelines-for-Applicants.pdf (outlines which route you need to go)

As you worked through these docs ask yourself, do you use any of the skills of the said 14 years indirectly in your new role? Yes, you do! Look at a few job specs for a BA. They will differ but some may ask for the following: 

• Understanding of business analysis principles, processes, and techniques. • Ability to develop and prepare use cases, functional specifications, and technical requirements. • Ability to understand and represent the needs of the end user in a software development environment.

These are definitely some skills you have developed indirectly during those years. Often some skills you have gained when you worked with a business system analyst in projects.

While not related to your BA skills perhaps these links may help you to check your approach when you stuck

http://www.saaustralia.org/topic/46990-stuck-on-getting-started/?do=findComment&comment=430260

http://www.saaustralia.org/topic/46040-189-engineering-application-in-progress/?do=findComment&comment=426126

Hope it helps!