claiming relocation cost back

Bullet

Hello All

I read on one of the forums that you can claim some of the reloction cost back is this true and if so how do you go about it

Regards

Bullet

Hi

I know you could do it a few years back, it also depended on what type of visa you came in on. Not sure about now. You had to claim it back on your taxes, best speak to your account before the end of Financial Year (June).

Regards

Enrica

Hello All

I read on one of the forums that you can claim some of the reloction cost back is this true and if so how do you go about it

Regards

Bullet

Hi Bullet,

I've never heard of it...

Ajay

It would be possible if you have a company sponsor your relocation, and they could then claim back the relocation costs as a legitimate expense. They would then 'repay' you as a salary sacrifice. I'm not certain whether you would be able to buy a business in Oz (Business Visa), and then sponsor yourself? Perhaps someone else might know.

Hello All

Regards

Bullet

Claim the cost back from who?

I know there is a thing called LAFHA which the tax dept allows a deduction, but there are several conditions to meet. Must have a temporary visa and employed whilst in South Africa. The employer must be willing to structure the salary to include this.

It is basically an allowance you get for Living Away From Home that is tax free. The consideration is that you are working away from home whilst employed and will (might ) return. It is not widely advertised but I know of some who are getting this.