GTFO

miles

Hi everyone.

About a month ago, my wife and I decided to get out of here. 

It was an incredibly hard decision to leave our families behind and take our kids away all of this but we felt it for the best. 

I guess our turning point was a home burglary, my wife and daughter (at the time, she was 3 months old) were robbed by 3 armed men. Fortunately, no-one was harmed, we just lost belongings. We returned to work and try to continue with our lives, and when retelling the story to our colleagues we simply find out that pretty much everyone has gone through the same thing, it was normal. You just have to be vigilant and cooperate when it happens and they probably won't hurt you, it's just stuff anyway.

Fast forward 6 months of constant vigilance, every time we arrived or departed from home. Often we'd circle the block if we saw a suspicious looking car parked on our road. We eventually got gatvol of living like that and decided it's not the kind of attitude we want our kids to learn. 

We're hoping to come through on a 187 visa, I'm a programmer and my wife is an accountant. 

We'd like to settle in Sydney, but have no idea where in Sydney yet. 

Booked my Pearson PTE A Test for next week and we've applied for unabridged birth certificates. I'm still deciding if i want to use an agent or do it all myself. We're hoping to get to Sydney in October 2018. 

So far I've found many helpful posts on this site, so thanks to all the helpful people here. 

• Like 2

@miles welcome to our corner of the world! Hope you get a lot of assistance with the many questions you will have.

My mantra is always, go where the work is... but Sydney can be an extremely expensive city to start your journey!

• Like 1

All the best mate, that's the main reason we're getting out of here!  I can't see myself living in fear for the rest of my life.

• Like 1

@Mara we chose Sydney to start because my brother is there. The plan is for my mother to join us later (expect questions on this soon), so trying to be where the whole family is together. Also, don't know anyone in Melbourne, so no support structure. 

Definitely work in Sydney for Developers. I will consider Melbourne before i decide to buy a house, Sydney prices are crazy. 

• Like 1

@miles well that changes the situation... good luck... I do hope that all goes smoothly for you! I knew there would be work for you, it is just the cost of rentals and purchasing a home that seems out of reach for many!

Welcome to the forum and good luck miles.

One of my friends on Facebook still in SA shared a security camera video of a hijacking and it quickly reminded me negatively of the environment and all the associated feelings we had while still there.  

Thanks @WayneAndMel, in our case it was pretty damn brazen too. Robbery happened in broad daylight (11am), on a relatively busy road. :(