Possible Brand New Immigrant

MargotOrch

So, here I am still awaiting the outcome of my 189 visa for Queensland. Lodged on 9 March - agent said within 3 months I would have a visa - I'm a day pasht the 2 month mark and getting edgy!

My house has been on the market for ages and not selling. 

I am loathe to do anything about packing and shipping untill I have heard about the Visa. 

And what about moving money across?

I would LOVE advice on a) shipping companies b)container sizes...? c) moving money over. 

I also have a baby grand piano which is an antique and of great sentimental value...

Thanks all in anticipation of your advice! 

First up, doing a clean-out of all your unneeded things is a good idea. Even if you don't move for months, getting rid of junk or packing away things you never use is a good idea! Just remember to clearly label the boxes.

I didn't take a container, so I can't help you there.

As for moving money... the last person you want to talk to is your bank. You have a house to sell, so obviously have more than 2 peanuts to bring over. So, you probably want to talk to a financial adviser. There are a lot of decisions you will need to make. For example, you may be better off if you can cash out your pension, pay the tax and invest the money here in Aussie. But that only works out for you if the Rand keeps crashing. So, a financial adviser can explain all these decAnd again, do the same when you have settled in Aussie... you will have cash that you brought over... so speaking to an Aussie financial adviser about what to do with it is a smart thing to do. It may cost a bit, bit it will save you in the long term.

As for companies that move your money across, there have been several recommendations on the forms here over the years. I made the mistake of using my bank, but I am sure others here can recommend a few good Forex companies. They could even recommend a few South African financial advisers who are experienced at helping migrants move to Aussie.

• Like 1