Some advice needed - 175 expires next year

MichaelvdBerg

Hi,

I'm currently weighing our options and would like to hear some opinions/advice. I'm holding a visa 175 and activated it in 2013. I'm not in Aussie so the window is 5 years meaning it would expire next year Feb some time. Problem comes in that I've recently married (Oct 2016) and we're expecting our first child in Oct.

As you can imagine, the timelines are a little screwed up for me as I understand it could take some thing like up to like 18 months for a partner visa (309) to be processed. I don't want to have to leave my family behind just to keep the visa alive..that is really something I'd like to avoid if I could.

I know what some may be thinking, why didn't I leave but things don't always work out the way you plan things...I never planned on marrying but yeah that kinda failed :)

What are my chances for a resident return visa ? I don't have the ability to prove any ties to Australia as I've only stayed in Australia for 2 years up until 2010. I don't have any family or anybody so only an argument as stated above. Is it possible to extend such a visa period?

I've not been all that successful in contacting DIBP electronically with the local TLS contact referring me to them to check for more info.

Thanks!

Mike

Edited by MichaelvdBerg
Extra info

I'll tag the agents on here for you so that they can answer: @TeeTMI @SD_MOA

From what I've read and seen, I think it's going to be a long shot :( but the agents will know for sure.

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 2

Hi Mike

It is not possible to answer without having looked at the details - however a RRV does not look promising. 

Depending upon your circumstances and when you would intend to migrate to Australia you might look at other  ways to avoid being apart and enabling your wife and child to be onshore with you, e.g. depending upon the circumstances and what is appropriate there could potentially be a couple of options using visitor visas?   

Tee