Dependant rules of Visa 143, and Remaining relative Visa questions

Nadine92

Question

Hi, I just want to make sure I have the correct information with regards to 2 visa's before I make any big decisions to go back to SA:

1) Can I be included in a 143 (Contributory Parent Visa) visa with my parents, as a dependant if I am turning 25? I've been told today that law has been changed to a maximum of 23 years old, regardless of financial dependence. I have a friend that managed to get his sister over at 25, two years ago. Did the law change?

2) Also, I saw there were a couple of posts w.r.t the remaining relative visa (835). My brother has PR (only sibling), and my parents will go on a 143 visa soon. Can I apply for this the 835 later? I've been told by two different things by agents and would just like to confirm this visa is still an option. An agent told me chances of them granting this visa to a healthy 25 year old is very rare, and a risky route to consider.

I am writing exams to be a dentist in Australia, in September, and I need to figure out if I'm wasting my time and money ASAP.

Me ,my mom and Dad are currently on a 457 in Perth.

If there's no option of PR ever, I will have to change my plan.

I'd appreciate any advice, thank you.

1 answer to this question

27 minutes ago, Nadine92 said:

Hi, I just want to make sure I have the correct information with regards to 2 visa's before I make any big decisions to go back to SA:

1) Can I be included in a 143 (Contributory Parent Visa) visa with my parents, as a dependant if I am turning 25? I've been told today that law has been changed to a maximum of 23 years old, regardless of financial dependence. I have a friend that managed to get his sister over at 25, two years ago. Did the law change?

I don't know when the rule changed but the maximum age is 23 years old. https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Incl

27 minutes ago, Nadine92 said:

2) Also, I saw there were a couple of posts w.r.t the remaining relative visa (835). My brother has PR (only sibling), and my parents will go on a 143 visa soon. Can I apply for this the 835 later? I've been told by two different things by agents and would just like to confirm this visa is still an option. An agent told me chances of them granting this visa to a healthy 25 year old is very rare, and a risky route to consider.

The remaining relative visa seems to have the issue where you can only apply if your only near relatives usually live in Australia and are all Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents. So it sounds like you parents would have to have their visas first before you could look at this visa.

I don't see anything about it only applying to elderly or infirm people.  In fact you have to pass the health check so being healthy is a good thing.

The only issue would be going through the list of who your near relatives are considered to be and making sure that you don't have any of these left in RSA. 

• Who is your near relative
    Your near relative is your or your partner's parent (including biological and step-parent), brother, sister, stepbrother or stepsister, child (including stepchild) who has turned 18 years of age and is not a dependent child, or child (including stepchild) who has not yet turned 18 years of age and is not in your or your partner's daily care and control.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/835-

I've put the links to the immigration site here for you to read the requirements because I'm not an agent and you must do your own research.

• Like 1