Giving it a shot

Jacques8113

Good day everyone. I just heard of this site yesterday and today im joined. Im in Nelspruit, South Africa and we as a family decided to seek opportunities in Aus so that we can bring our children up there. And my wife's sister and her family are there and citizens already (been there 11 years). 

So I sent some emails to companies in Aus last week. Another company got hold of my email somehow and invited me over for a visit to their factory and to attend some meetings with them in Sydney. They sponsort everything. And if the meetings go well, a job offer might be on the table. So I am busy preparing a subsection 600 visa (1415). 

That is my story in short. 

Regards

Edited by Jacques8113
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum.

All the best with the visit, hope it goes well ;) 

I hope all goes well for you! All the uncertanty arround the employer sponsored visas, i.e. subclass 475 and what will replace it... must be getting you down  :(

But you are incredibly lucky... its not every day that a company is willing to help a migrant get a job here. Paying for your flights might just be company policy (it was at one big company I worked at). 

The locals won't say it, but they are deeply concerned that they won't get promoted because the company will just hire a super capable migrant to take their promotion. It costs a lot to migrate from places like Brazil, Russia or South Africa. The guys who can afford to migrate probably had very good jobs back home. The experts are not lying when they say the best and the brightest are leaving South Africa for Australia.

A lot of Aussie companies promote people internally because they work hard or are loyal. It makes staff think, "I may not be as skilled as Jaques from Nelspruit... but if I work hard and are loyal, I will get my promotion!". Most Aussie companies are not trying to be Google... so they don't really need the best staff in the world.

So, you might have found a really good company. By bringing you out, its showing they care about getting the best possible staff; they don't just promote people to encourage the staff to work long hours and do exactly what the boss says ;)

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1

Yes Monsta, The 457 visa that got replaced seems to be a small stone in the shoe, but if it comes to that, we will apply for permanent residency and go. I just hope that the company will wait a bit (if I pass the interview) or even employ me distantly while we wait for the PR visa. We just need to wait and see what happens. But yes, I think I am lucky in a way that a company is willing to fly me over to meet them and pay for my expenses while Im there.

Regards,

Jacques

• Like 1

Wow @Jacques8113 - welcome to the forum and good luck with the potential job offer.  Please  keep us posted. May I ask your occupation?  I hope you are booking your tickets already - chances like that don't come round that often!

If you can get here on PR and have a job waiting, that will be the envy of most migrants! (I hope you can manage it! ;) ) PR has many advantages, from medical and schooling discounts to taking the stress off worrying if you'll be able to stay. Of course my opinion is that if you'd like to come to Aus, and you currently qualify for PR, just do it and get the visa! Then once you have it, sort out work and logistics etc. But that's my opinion.

Hallo JulesR. 

I am an animal scientist with a MSc degree in animal production and husbandry.

The company in Aus will purchase the tickets as soon as I get my visa. I plan to go through to Pretoria next week for that. I just got a new baby on Tuesday so I couldnt get away the last week or so, needed to be close to home and Pretoria is more than 3 hours away from me.

Regards,

Jacques

• Like 1

On 5/1/2017 at 1:18 PM, RedPanda said:

If you can get here on PR and have a job waiting, that will be the envy of most migrants! (I hope you can manage it! ;) ) PR has many advantages, from medical and schooling discounts to taking the stress off worrying if you'll be able to stay. Of course my opinion is that if you'd like to come to Aus, and you currently qualify for PR, just do it and get the visa! Then once you have it, sort out work and logistics etc. But that's my opinion.

Yes Panda, at this stage my wife is the most jealous as she likes to fly etc (I dont) and here im going to stay in a 5 star hotel in Sydney on a paid holiday without her. ?. 

Congrats on the baby.. and good luck for the interview!

All the best @Jacques8113.  It sound like you have a fantastic opportunity.  As @RedPanda said, you will be the envy of most migrants.  Grab it with both hands.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo all. Just an update. My visitors visa has been granted, within 3 days of handing in so im pleased with the turn around time. It seems that I will go to Sydney and surroundings in mid to late June to have an interview and also visit some farmers etc.

Holding thumbs.

• Like 2

Be careful with what you post in an open online forum, going for interviews is not allowed on a visitors visa.

• Like 1

Business visitor means you already have work in your own country and you are entering Australia to engage with an Australian business.

It used to be the Business Short Stay Visa (456) but this has been closed and amalgamated with the Visitor Visa 600

This is from the website:

Business people intending to travel to Australia for a short business visit but not intending to work in Australia, can apply for the Business Visitor stream of the Visitor visa (subclass 600)This includes making a general business or employment enquiry, negotiations or participating in a conference.

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 2

Your'e very lucky - grab it with both hands!  Hope everything works out for you.

Can I also offer some unsolicited advice: keep your cards close to your chest. By all means share at meetings what you do but not how.  They have to employ you to find out HOW you can help farmers. So (I'm guessing now) share with farmers how your expertise helped farmers yields improve by x% but don't give specifics of how (eg we use xyz special ingredient in our fertiliser).  They need to pay/employ you to find out what xyz fertiliser is, how to make it, what proportion gives best bang for buck etc. Tantalise them with the fact that you have the magic spell / recipe but don't share it with them.

Another example because I'm just guessing details: if you were a tennis coach, you would share that you helped a player go from number 9999 to the top 50 in the rankings, that you improved his first serve success rate by 60% etc.  When they ask how, you can talk about vague issues but never the details.  They have to employ you to find out that you use a specific tennis racket only, that you make the player do yoga for flexibility, you have specific sleep and recovery protocols etc.  

Just keep you cards close just in case the meetings are to pump you for information, to give away the trade secrets and to not then need to offer you anything.  Don't let eagerness for a job cloud the need to hold some things back.  Leave them needing to know what you know (which requires an offer).  Best of luck with it. 

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So what happened with the interview Jacques8113? 

My experience is Australians are more straight forward than indicated by some of the posts. They hire you for what you will achieve in the future. What you have done in the past helps them make the assessment, but the IP you have may not be useful.

We run a business (pharmaceutical consultancy) and we hire people who will earn us a net profit and make our lives easier. We work for ~ 30 companies a year and they have the same requirements.

• 1 month later...