No more lurking.....Hello

Rhazo32

Hi Everyone

So i am new to the forums but have been lurking in the shadows for some time (:ph34r: over a year). A bit about me.

I decided to make the move to Australia in November of 2015, and started the process with Vetassess, IELTS, EOI etc.  I was invited to apply in March 2016 and received my 189 visa in May 2016. I activated my visa in November 2016, and am looking to move mid to end of 2018. I am single, so moving on my own, though my siblings are all making plans to apply, and eventually sponsor our parents to join us there. Oh, and i am Zimbabwean, and have lived in SA since 2009 (so i am used to visa processes :rolleyes:). I work in the insurance industry.

During the visa application process I  learnt a lot from this community, and as I start to slowly plan my move I am still benefiting. I plan to move to Sydney, as that's where the jobs for my qualification are. I am terrible with social media, but decided to give this a try, and be part of providing some answers to those who are going through what I went through, and also hearing from all the sydney-siders about life down under as i prepare.

That's me for now 

• Like 7

@Rhazo32, welcome from the shadows and to the forum. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the move and job hunt.

Hi @Rhazo32!  Well done on getting a visa.  If I get mine, I will also be going over on my own.  Daunting prospect, but great that your siblings are also planning on joining you.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JulesR said:

Hi @Rhazo32!  Well done on getting a visa.  If I get mine, I will also be going over on my own.  Daunting prospect, but great that your siblings are also planning on joining you.  

Thanks Jules

I can honestly say doing this on your own seems quicker from my experience as you need to discuss/convince less people, and only have 1 set of relatives to deal with. However, i think/suspect the emotional aspects are a lot harder without someone else to bounce off your ideas and fears off. My first visit to Australia in 2014 was beautiful esp as it was a holiday.  My activation trip however was nerve racking.  Seeing the distances my friends travel to work (55-75 minutes), and the cost of living scared me a bit. In hindsight I now think a lot of that was fear of yet another move.  I decided to work in SA for an extra year or two, live lean and save then make the move with a 'comfortable' cushion to tide me over. I am using the time to research, research research, and shore up some courage for the next phase.

All the best to you with the visa.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HadEnoughofJuju said:

@Rhazo32, welcome from the shadows and to the forum. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the move and job hunt.

out of the shadows indeed.  thank you for the welcome 

I moved over with my husband almost a year ago, and when we compare how we fared with what his sister went through going to the UK alone, i would say it's easiest with two people committed to the move together. But that is usually not the case, sometimes alone like you, sometimes with one person enthusiastic and the other lukewarm. So perhaps it is good that you see the advantage in your situation and appreciate it ;) At least you will be able to reach out to other people via communities like this forum, or others on Facebook, and even the friends you speak of.

It helps to research things, true. But at some point you still need to just jump. Good luck and 'courage' with the lean living and saving up, I'm sure the added peace of mind will come in helpful once you're here, before you have work.

All the best :) 

Welcome. I am glad the forum is helpful. You will find it a real support and even more helpful now that you are posting. well done for taking that step 

• Like 1