Sequence of events

What is the general sequence of events when applying for a visa?  I've printed out the 100 steps, and am working my way through that (fantastic resource), but I know things change, and I also know that some visas have different requirements.  However, is this more or less correct:

1. Get English results and skills assessment sorted.  This lets you work out the number of points.
  2. Match points to visa category.
  3. Get state or employer sponsorship (if applicable).  (How long does state sponsorship normally take??)
  4. Do you then need to submit an EOI, or is the sponsorship one and the same?  (Again - how long can EOI approval take?)
  5. If EOI is appoved, apply for visa.

At what point do you need police clearances and medicals?

And if you are invited to apply for a visa, what are the chances that it won't get approved?

Thanks guys!

HI @JulesR

You're on the right track. Can only comment specifically on our experience, but at least that gives you some indication.

With state sponsorship, every state is different. We submitted our EOI and at the same time applied for state sponsorship with NSW and Victoria. Timing was quite quick and we received a positive response from Victoria after 33 days. With state sponsorship, the ITA is then immediate. So got email from Victoria on 18 October and the ITA from the DIBP on 20 October. We then lodged (uploaded all forms) and paid for our visas on that day. If I remember correctly, we could then print out our HAP forms for the Medicals. About 3 weeks later we had an email from our case officer requesting our Medicals and police clearances, which we then did and submitted on 2 December. Received our grants on 20 February, so exactly 4 months from lodging.

As far as your chances, my take on it is that if you meet the criteria, have the points and be completely honest, your chances are very good. 

Hope all goes well.