Time frame for nomination

Eyebrow

Question

My question is:

Say the 2 years (for temporary transition stream from 457 to 187) runs out on the 1st of Feb 2018.

When can the employer apply for nomination to sponsor you?

Can they apply a few months before the date, and then you apply on the exact date?

OR

Do they have to apply after the 2y date?

I would really appreciate an answer, thanks! :unsure:

5 answers to this question

Perhaps @TeeTMI can weigh in here.

From the government website it looks like the employer applies after the 2 years are up but they could make sure they have all their documents ready and do the application on 2 Feb 2018.  It also looks like you can apply at the same time as the employer (and in fact must apply within 6 months of the employer).  Have a read of the specific documentation for the 187 here: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/187-#tab-content-3

• Like 2

For people holding 457 visas granted prior to the recent changes in respect of the "temporary transition stream from 457 to 187". 

You must meet the requirements including those relating to the 2 year period before the employer submits the nomination.

21 minutes ago, TeeTMI said:

For people holding 457 visas granted prior to the recent changes in respect of the "temporary transition stream from 457 to 187". 

You must meet the requirements including those relating to the 2 year period before the employer submits the nomination.

If one has only been on the 457 visa for 6 months, will one still be able to apply for the temporary transition stream of the 187 in 18 months time?

I have heard that if your occupation is on the new short term skills list, you will not be able to apply for the temporary transition stream post March 2018. Is this the case?

That you very much for the advice.

However, until the legislation and policy in regard to this are produced I would not wish to state what the case will be in 18 months time. The Prime Minister is quoted as stating that current 457 visa holders pathways will not be impacted by the recent changes.   However, clarification is still being sought in a number of areas.

However, at the current time if you were moving from a 457 to the 187 under the temporary transitional stream on an occupation that was removed from the list last week you would be able to do so.   

40 minutes ago, TeeTMI said:

However, until the legislation and policy in regard to this are produced I would not wish to state what the case will be in 18 months time. The Prime Minister is quoted as stating that current 457 visa holders pathways will not be impacted by the recent changes.   However, clarification is still being sought in a number of areas.

However, at the current time if you were moving from a 457 to the 187 under the temporary transitional stream on an occupation that was removed from the list last week you would be able to do so.   

Thank you for the response.

Just to clarify for my own understanding, currently as it stands post March 2018 you will still be able to apply for the 187 transition stream provided you meet all the other criteria regardless of whether your skills were removed from the list last week?