Parent Visa question

zamunda

My mum just received her visitor visa grant letter this afternoon.

Though last time she had a 3 year multiple entry visa, this time she has been granted only a 12 month visa. Not sure why.

My question is this:

The visa condition states "12 months stay from the date of arrival." "must not arrive after April 2018." The visa expires in April in 2018. So, does this mean the 12 months starts counting from the date she arrives in Aus?  If she arrives in (say) October 2017, she can then stay for 12 months from that date, despite the visa expiring in April 2018?

• Like 1

I would assume it means what it says... she must not enter the country after April 2018 and can stay for 12 months. 

If you want an opinion that matters... if you are in australia call up the helpline listed on www.border.gov.au  or if you are in South Africa  call up the Australain high commission during working hours. Your mum may have to all them for privacy reasons.

I also applied for a visitor visa for my mum and as far as I understand the rules it means that the 12 months starts from the date that the VISA is granted and she can only stay in the country for a maximum period of 3 months at a time.

What is the visa number?

22 minutes ago, HadEnoughofJuju said:

I also applied for a visitor visa for my mum and as far as I understand the rules it means that the 12 months starts from the date that the VISA is granted and she can only stay in the country for a maximum period of 3 months at a time.

What is the visa number?

The visa is "Subclass 600."

In my mum's case she is allowed 12 months stay each visit. The confusion is, in the application she put the intended date of arrival as October 2017. We assumed they will give at least 1 year validity from October 2017. However, the visa is valid from April 2017 to April 2018. With the conditions I mentioned above. Hopefully they allow 12 months from the date of arrival. If this is not the case, then it is a rip off after having told them of the intended date of arrival.

I would be calling the 131 number on the border.gov.au site. As far as I understood the visitors visas they are valid for travel for the 12 months from the date of issue and she will not be able to enter Aus after the visa has expired. I would also not be staying longer than the final entry date as that is when the visa expires and she will then be in the country illegally. That will also affect any future visa applications.

Although you are asked to enter the intended dates of travel, IMMI don't use that as a guide for granting the visa, they simply want to know when you intend on traveling. They expect you to apply for the visa closer to when your going to need it.

Your grant letter should have three dates on it. Grant date, don't not enter after date and expiry date. The expiry date is the date by which she has to be out of the country.

UPDATE:-

I spoke to Immigration this morning. The visa states "must no enter after April 2018." At the same it also states "12 months stay from the date of arrival." What this means is the 12 months stay starts counting from the date she arrive in Aus as long as it is before  April 2018. So, for example, mum can arrive in Aus (say) in March 2018 and stay for 12 months.

• Like 1