Best time to migrate with children

DannyReed32

3 minutes ago, Lidan said:

i was worried about the 10 year old and not the 5 year old and turned out that the 10 year old had it much easier than the 5 year old. He made friends on day one, tried for the school band today and has his 1st performance tomorrow and is just rocking it . Your girls will love it here. Our son did his homework at school today in "free time" . Thats time set aside for them during school hours to do what they feel like. Ie reading, doing homework, etc.

Not clued up on Newcastle but you are welcome to message me if i can help in any way

Fantastic! My 11 year old will love that!

Thank you so much, I will do so!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody

We are looking to go to Australia sometime next year.

I have a question regarding our kids and how they adapt in Australia. We have a daughter which is currently in grade 1 in SA at an Afrikaans school. She thus turned 7 years old in July 2018. 

Is there anybody else who had kids in an Afrikaans class/school back in SA when they immigrated to Australia and how did the kids adapt? Was the switch from Afrikaans to English an easy switch for then to make? 

Any words of advice will be greatly appreciated.

15 hours ago, Chrisjan said:

Hi everybody

We are looking to go to Australia sometime next year.

I have a question regarding our kids and how they adapt in Australia. We have a daughter which is currently in grade 1 in SA at an Afrikaans school. She thus turned 7 years old in July 2018. 

Is there anybody else who had kids in an Afrikaans class/school back in SA when they immigrated to Australia and how did the kids adapt? Was the switch from Afrikaans to English an easy switch for then to make? 

Any words of advice will be greatly appreciated.

We are an English family that immigrated to Australia from RSA 2 years ago. My kids were 6 and 14 when they arrived and have adapted very easy. We have friends that came from RSA with Afrikaans kids and believe you me, they sound like Ozzies already and have adapted very quickly. 

A word of advise, don't let these things bother you, the earlier the better, get over here as quickly as you can. Don't procrastinate as you don't want to be left in RSA without options. Any wasting of time in RSA may count against you.

Edited by TakeItOnTheChin