Civil Engineering Draftsperson - Skills based option from SA

Is there anyone here with advice on the assessment of qualifications for a civil engineering draftsperson (ANZSCO 312211) from SA?

More specifically, has anyone gone through this process recently? Did you use VETASSESS or Engineers Australia?

I am also experiencing difficulties in establishing who does the certification back here in RSA

Just trying to chip in as we don't seem to have a Draftsman on the forum . According to 

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Product+Lookup/1220.0~First+Edition,+Revision+1~Chapter~UNIT+GROUP+3122+Civil Engineering Draftspersons and Technicians:

You need a:

• AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)

Those are usually TAFE courses. In other words those are not full university degrees.

I am not sure what they would be on South Africa's NQF.  But it sounds like this is the course you would do if you were an Aussie ->  https://www.tafensw.edu.au/offering/RII50515-01V01-17ULT-268/Diploma-of-Civil-Construction-Design. There there are no entry requirements. That could just mean its a bit more advanced than a certificate 4, but you don't have to have a certificate 4. The TAFE offers   certificate 1, 2, 3, 4, diploma, advanced diploma and associate degree. Its a bit like the NQF in that you could do a certificate 3, then a 4 and then a diploma. It becomes a bit more complex those courses have different lenghts depending on the subject matter. If I remember correctly an NQF level represented 1 year of study. Here in Aussie it might only take 18 weeks to do the course work for a certificate 4. 

You could try the engineers australia site. They can confirm you are a draftsman for migration purposes.. They seem to have a tool that helps you understand your migration options..

https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/For-Migrants/Migration-Skills-Assessment/Choosing-Your-Pathway

• Like 2

On 2017/04/18 at 8:18 PM, Fossey said:

Is there anyone here with advice on the assessment of qualifications for a civil engineering draftsperson (ANZSCO 312211) from SA?

Thank you Monsta, you seem to confirm what has become my suspicion! I will approach Engineers Australia. Gratefully yours....

• Like 1

If Engineers Australia can't give you a nice PDF file explaining everything, you might need to contact a migration agent.

There are various Assessing Bodys. They tell the Aussie government that your South African qualifications and work experience are equivalent to the Australian standards. Engineers Australia approves most engineering migrants. 

But there is often fine print. For example, I had a b.com degree in Information Systems. I studied it to work in IT, but I also did a lot of general business courses. So, I could have done the IT studies but have gone to work in marketing. So, to rule that out the Computer Society required 4 years of recent, relevant IT experience. That ment I needed 4 years of work experience to get the Computer Society to sign off on my skills, when my VISA itself required less than that. I only found that out by reading the PDF from the Computer Society and reading all the small details. I initially thought a b.com with at least 50% of my subjects being IT related would be good enough.. so I am glad I read the PDF carefully.

• Like 1