The Search for a Job ;)

BarryHeyns

Ok, so we might be getting closer to the point of hearing good news regarding our 189 visa (Being a bit optimistic here..)

How do I go about starting the process of looking for a job? Especially when you are in the finance sector.

Obviously I realize sitting in SA and trying to find something is close to impossible, so I am more than willing to fly over and try my best, I would just like to know what the best option would be for this.

I know I need to get my CV sorted out first, so this will be done.

Do I need to work through Recruitment Agencies like we do here in SA?

Should I identify companies I would like to work for and approach them with a CV in hand?

I have never done this before, I am used to applying online and getting phoned by recruitment agencies regarding employment opportunities.

We would really like to live and work in Canberra, we like smaller cities and the outdoors

Firstly, flying out is a bad idea. Many big companies have a policy where they have to pay for flights. They are obviously not keen to do that.

Step one is to look on www.seek.com.au  and look at the job adverts. Find a bunch of jobs you could do and make it very clear from your CV that you have the skills they want. Take note of where they are, then use the public transport directions on google maps to find suburbs where you could live and easily commute there. Lastly, many jobs on seek.com.au won't give a salary... but you can search by salary range. Specify some suburbs you would like to live in on your CV. For example, you could include an objective (aka summry) staring with   "I am PR relocating on 2th June 2017 to the northern beaches". That makes it easier for a recruiter to find you a suitable employer. Ask around here if you can afford the suburb given the salary ranges you found on seek. Also ask if the commute is resonable.

Then create a profile on www.seek.com.au. Apply for jobs on seek that are a good match to your CV. Also update your linkedin. Get colleagues to endorse you for the skills you put on your CV (the ones that were mentioned a lot on www.seek.com.au). You could even put a link to your linkedin on your CV.

Lastly take @SurferMan's advise. Don't be cocky on your CV, but highlite what you did well. For example, don't say " I processed health care insurance claims"  say, " I always processed my health care claims timeously and thourughly. My manager congratuated me in front of the whole team for finding the most fraudulent claims in 2015 and again in 2016 ". You want the recuriter to think  "geez, this guy could easily sell himself in an interview".

But don't make your CV too long. Focus on the skills the employers on www.seek.com.au are looking for. At the end of the day, it comes down to... can you do the job? are you likely to stay more than a year? do your skills justify the salary you are asking? are you a nice guy to work with?

Oh and lastly, recruiters do a lot of keyword searches... when you apply for jobs your CV lands up in a big database that they search. I would even go so far as to say the jobs on www.seek.com.au are only loosely based on a job advert the recruiter was given.

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1

Thanks Monsta, by flying out I mean covering the cost of that myself and staying in Aus until I find something.

I know the options would become drastically less if I am waiting for someone to fly me over.

What I gather from your post also is that the employers in Aus also use recruiters more than trying to find people themselves?

My plans are to visit all the recruiters I can get hold of to be able to schedule some interviews with them so they can find something for me.

• Like 1

@BarryHeyns You don't need to visit recruiters... they will only interview you in person if the customer requires it.

But they do need you to be available to go for an interview. A company will put out a job advert to a few agencies. The company is only going to interview 2-3 people. So, if you can't go for the interview right away, the company will just interview the candidates from the other recruitment agencies. Most company's wont waste their time interviewing more than 2 or 3 people. 

Most companies report that recruitment agencies in Aussie are terrible... that they don't really understand the job requirements, they don't interview people properly...  they just find a CV with keywords matching the job description, they call up the candidate confirm he is looking for a job, get his salary expectation and get him to confirm via e-mail that they are representing him for the job (a legal thing... to make sure they get paid).

That means that companies don't trust recruiters... if a recruiter rings up saying they need to interview one more guy because he is amazing... its a bit like a Indian telemarketer telling you he has a fantastic deal on your insurance. The companies just don't trust that the recruiter can tell a good candidate from an average one  if his life depended on it. 

Thats why we say focus on getting the right keywords on your salary. Know what a resonable salary is. Know where you plan to live...  recruiters are not total iddiots... if you want to travel 2 hours (each way) accross the city to work for peanuts he will think thats dodgey. 

I used to work at a small company where they would pay you over $2000 if you found your next colleague. The CEO said he would write the cheque with a smile on his face... thats how much he hated recruiters.

So, you have to be here  so you can be one of the first 3 people the company interviews. I know its expensive... but thats just how it is :(