Looking for a job in the pharmaceutical industry

abieandliz

Good day

I was wondering whether someone can possibly assist me in my search for employment in Australia or just assist with possible networking opportunities.

My wife and I already received our 189 visa and need to be in Aus by mid November 2017. I am a pharmacist by profession with a master degree in clinical pharmacy in South Africa. I am currently employed as a hospital pharmacy manager with 9 years experience in the field. I have not done any of the Aus pharmacist exams as yet and thus I am currently applying for job opportunities in the pharmaceutical industry.

Can anyone please give me some advise on how to approach the whole job search as I haven't be very successful as yet.

I have worked in the pharmaceutical industry in South Africa.  I am not sure that you would be very appealing with no experience in the pharmaceutical industry, but in South Africa pharmacists were often employed as project managers or monitors.  The same may be true in Australia.  Look for contract research organisations in Australia and see what kind of jobs they advertise.  Companies like Parexel, Quintiles, Novotech.  It is very different from hospital pharmacy.

Thank you so much for your response FromDurbs, I will definitely look into the project manager and monitors job opportunities.

Kind regards

Abie van Biljon

Where in SA do you live?  Maybe you can talk to some people in SA doing this kind of work.  It might help you to know what to highlight in your CV.  If close to Centurion or Bloemfontein I could point you to people.

• 4 months later...

I have been working in the pharmaceutical industry in Australia for the past 23 years.

Hot jobs are CRA's, Regulatory Affairs, Reimbursement. You don't need to be registered pharmacist. Check out www.seek.com.au Most jobs in this area are in Sydney then Melbourne.

Do you have experience in these areas?

I have been working in the pharmaceutical industry in Australia for the past 23 years.

Hot jobs are CRA's, Regulatory Affairs, Reimbursement. You don't need to be registered pharmacist. Check out www.seek.com.au Most jobs in this area are in Sydney then Melbourne.

Do you have experience in these areas?

I also teach on a pharmacy masters course. Unfortunately too many pharmacists in Australia now so hospital and community pharmacy jobs are hard to get and don't pay that well. Better to move to industry in a junior position at first.

Good day Simon

Thank you so much for responding on my post. Unfortunately I do not have any experience in that field. Do you think I would be able to enter the pharmaceutical industry without any experience? What is the requirements to work as a CRA?

Kind regards

Abie

I think you will find that you might have some relevant experience. For example if you have been involved in clinical trials at your hospital or ethics committees and so on. For an indication of job description check out Seek.com.au. As an example, I found this: https://www.seek.com.au/job/34305814?type=promoted&userqueryid=d7e64c2847165b36a0e5043746c50483-4827152.

How many of the aspects of this role do you think you could do?

ARCS offers training so you can do some courses there: https://www.arcs.com.au/events/category/online-learning

You can also think about an MSL role. For more info on this, see: https://www.fromsciencetopharma.com/. My friend Martijn runs the company that trains people how to become MSL's.

So I think you need to dissect your CV to try and match industry jobs. If you don't have a good match you can contact companies and ask for an assistant role to get going. Where in Australia do you plan to move.