Drivers license conversion on a 489

MichKen

Hello,

Thinking through all our steps for getting settled in later this year and make sure we are fully prepared.  I am wondering about converting drivers licenses specifically in South Australia, and specifically on a 489 visa.  I have been onto the website for the road traffic authority and it seems if you are not a PR or a citizen you are a temporary visitor in their eyes.

So, my question is the following: on the 489 visa can we convert our licenses within the stipulated 90 days of arriving as a normal PR newbie would?  If so, I also have seen that we need a letter about our drivers records from the ZA traffic department.  Should we get a letter from the ZA traffic department before we leave?  More importantly, how do ZA traffic violations impact the conversion, nothing serious - just some speeding tickets.  (We are practicing very hard to try to stick well within the speed limits...).

Hope someone can answer my question.

Thanks in advance

M

Edited by MichKen

I know several people her in QLD on 489's that have converted. Here it depends on how long you're going to be staying and If it's longer than 3 months then you need to convert. Get  letters from the traffic department in RSA confirming your license a couple of weeks before you leave as it's a pain in the backside to do from Aus.

• Like 1