Aussie Apps

ChrisH

Coming off the Aussie Shows thread, I thought it would be interesting to find out whether there are any Aussie specific Android/Apple apps that guys have used.

Things like weather, transport, shopping, etc.

I just stumbled across this page of apps built for Queensland: https://www.qld.gov.au/services/mobile/ 

If you go onto Google Play Store and search either Australia or one of the State names you'll find a lot of state and or country specific Android apps. Anything from traffic to  fishing to weather and a hell of a lot more. You name it and there will probably be one there.

• Like 1

Based in Melbourne, I like:

Willy Weather

Vic Emergency - Bushfires, floods, any emergency warnings in realtime

PTV - public transport time tables and info

Gumtree - It's a roaring trade this side

Aldi - Weekly specials info on your mobile

Eastern Regional Libraries (I assume every region will have their own library app)
Realestate.com.au app - it's really nice when you're looking for a home, rental or permanent

1Password - this is not specific to Australia, but I found with all the new accounts, it helps to have somewhere to put all those new passwords

Edited by RedPanda
  • Like 1

@Peterthe1, I know I can Google.  The point of this thread is to find out which apps the forumites have found handy in their transition into Australia. Nothing like first hand experience.

For Aus I like:

myVEVO - Check you visa status

Medicare app - Check claims etc

Qantas Entertainment (So cool) - In flight entertainment on your devices

For Sydney (NSW but might work elsewhere)

Service NSW - Check license demerit points and other govt services

Opal Travel - NSW public travel card

TripView - Excellent app that show train schedules, delays and track work

Medeco MCP - Book a doctor.. online (Need I say more)

Skip (Food app) - Order a coffee and not stand in a queue

General apps

AusSuper - View your super balance, change portfolios, life insurance etc

Acorns - Investment app. Actually works with the banks here

9 Now - TV Streaming and missed episode casting

Domain (Real estate search tool. I like the map search feature more than Realestate's app @RedPanda)

Seek - Jobs

GoGet - Car hire on demand

Rewardable - Odd jobs, extra cash app per location

Airtasker - Odd jobs, extra cash app per location

Edited by CyberJoe
Slight misclick to submit too early
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, CyberJoe said:

Domain (Real estate search tool. I like the map search feature more than Reasestate's app @RedPanda)

Hahaha...sure. I just learnt that for my specific area Realestate.com had more listings than Domain. But I have the feeling that this will differ between areas.

And MyVEVO is certainly a good app, it sits idle on your phone 99.9% of the time, but that one time in a blue moon when you use it, it's really great to have. (I still keep it on my phone ;) )

On 4/6/2017 at 9:32 PM, ChrisH said:

@Peterthe1, I know I can Google.  The point of this thread is to find out which apps the forumites have found handy in their transition into Australia. Nothing like first hand experience.

It's a hard question because everyone has different preferences. The ones I use fairly often are as follows:

WikiCamps Australia (great for campers, has all campsites around Australia)

Morcombe's Birds of Australia (all local bird life)

Android Pay (a lot of places use this form of payment)

Australia Topo Maps (great for bushwalking, camping  etc)

Skymap (great for spotting stars)

Medicare (for all Medicare stuff)

QLD Traffic (all road works, closures, flooding, etc).

Edited by Peterthe1
Correction
  • Like 2

Woa... I didn't know about the camping and birding apps. Must investigate immediately! Thanks @Peterthe1

21 hours ago, RedPanda said:

Woa... I didn't know about the camping and birding apps. Must investigate immediately! Thanks @Peterthe1

WikiCamps Australia is good as it has all free, paid and any other campsites on it. You can also add your own new sites on to the map. The bird app is a bit expensive but it has all the local birds with sounds.  A good investment if you're into bird watching.

• Like 1

This may not be an app anyone of us will use often, however, I found the EMERGENCY+ app from the government can be very useful in case a situation arises.

Apart from being able to contact the emergency services from the app, it also offers your location on the map along with the coordinates. 

Thanks for the replies so far guys.  One thing that I've noticed is that many of these can't be downloaded from South Africa due to goe-IP restrictions placed on the apps. 

17 hours ago, ChrisH said:

Thanks for the replies so far guys.  One thing that I've noticed is that many of these can't be downloaded from South Africa due to goe-IP restrictions placed on the apps. 

Is that just for SA? I downloaded a lot of apps in the UK before coming out here and they work here.

Here is another good app if you like your 4x4ing. Hema Explorer. It's similar to the Hema GPS, not as good but a good start.

22 hours ago, ChrisH said:

Ah..then you, or whoever wants to download them, will just have to breathe and be patient until they get here ;) 

11 hours ago, Peterthe1 said:

Is that just for SA? I downloaded a lot of apps in the UK before coming out here and they work here.

Here is another good app if you like your 4x4ing. Hema Explorer. It's similar to the Hema GPS, not as good but a good start.

It depends on the app publisher, they can choose which countries can see which apps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris, do you commute ?

In that case you cannot possibly go without an app called "Solitaire". A card game for middle class commoners who track daily between home and the salt mines. It's suited for overly pensive and/or obsessive individuals who wish to shield themselves against inane conversations between other members of the throng on the same train carriage to the point where it causes them to miss their station on a regular basis. The owners of the game now also allows for comparison with other similar people who try to rack up new high scores each morning.. a sense of belonging.

Apart from that, seeing as travel takes up a great deal of time and costs a fair bitta cash for most of us, you might find the following handy :

- QLD Rego Check (because the Dept Transport no longer issues us with stickers to tell us we're about to get fined for failing to renew)

- My Translink (plan your journey, it calculates best routes over all forms of travel and cost)

- GoVIA (Pertains to the toll mob and all their extortion highways)

- Pay24 (simple way to pay your bills and top up your accounts)

At work we're implementing an app that allows kids to play games and clinch real rewards for mom and dad (ie. bread, milk, discounts ..) at their nearest convenience store.Also maintains a shopping list, a todo list etc. hooks up with our deliver service which collects and delivers OR a search list of suitable services and their locations is returned.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

A pretty good app for budgeting is https://getpocketbook.com

They have a web, Android and Apple app.  It imports your transactions from your bank accounts (most aussie banks supported) and then gives you a consolidated view of your finances.

• Like 1