Child care in Aus

Helchi

Question

Hi all,

I am new here. We've only just made the decision and still gathering information to see what will be feasible.

My husband and I are both engineers (him: telecomms, me: software). We have 2 children (4yrs and 10 months). Considering the cost of child care in Aus, would it make more sense for me to stay home with the baby, or would it make more financial sense to work? Guess I'm asking just how expensive day care really is?

6 answers to this question

It's around $100 a day (some as high as $150 in Sydney).  Depending on your visa, you will get back a portion from Centrelink (up to $7500 per child per year).  Many families have one parent stay at home at least until the child can go to kindergarten.  Sometimes it's the mum and sometimes it's the dad.  There is much less gender bias here when it comes to staying at home with your children and fathers are generally much more hands on than in RSA.

Edited by RYLC
  • Like 3

For many families it's simply not financially beneficial enough for both parents to work considering the childcare costs, but some would do that regardless so that they could both remain active in a competitive job market. It's sometimes quite tough to get back into the job market after a few years off with the kids - especially if you do not have any Aussie work experience to begin with. It's really very much a choice for each family and what would work best for them in the long run.

• Like 1

You could also try to get part-time employment. You see many more part-time opportunities for professionals than in SA. At least that way you are in the workforce, you're not missing out on your career, and you can always go back to full time when it suits you. Also depends on your personality, and what you want to do.

Hi everyone, 

Recently made the decision to move to Aus, and hit the same stumbling block. My kids are 7mo and 3yo. But 3yo will be 5 by the time we get to Aus. 

So for the little one, sure, crazy child care rates, or stay home/part-time work for my wife. 

For my eldest, he'd be the right age for Kindergarten/Grade 0. Is Kindergarden also as expensive as pre-school? 

21 hours ago, miles said:

Hi everyone, 

Recently made the decision to move to Aus, and hit the same stumbling block. My kids are 7mo and 3yo. But 3yo will be 5 by the time we get to Aus. 

So for the little one, sure, crazy child care rates, or stay home/part-time work for my wife. 

For my eldest, he'd be the right age for Kindergarten/Grade 0. Is Kindergarden also as expensive as pre-school? 

Kindergarden, in NSW, is at 5 years of age and the first year of school. That means in full school uniform and as part of the primary school.  My kids are 5 & 7 and here in Sydney, our choice of the local selection of brilliant state primary schools, cost us $250 per child per year. Uniform and bits were another $300 at the start of Kindy. Thats why lots of mums wait till at least some of the kids hit big school before they go back to work. 

Ps. Lots of jobs are part time or shared here. My son has two teachers sharing his class. One Mon/Tue, the other teacher Wed/Thurs/Fri. The kids love it and I am now a huge fan too. 

Personally I think shared work is the best kept secret of all time. You have time and money, and you integrate into the work environment. I love this idea. :D 

Just for full disclosure, I have heard that if you are career focused it's not a good idea to take time off, since they will not give you as much responsibility or big projects and you will not advance as much as someone who works occasional overtime. But that is totally up to you. I personally think that the idea of 'having it all' is an unattainable illusion, and everyone makes compromises along the way, according to their own priorities.

Maar sterkte in elkgeval ;)