Banking in Australia

pupmeister

I have already read the question on favourite bank in Australia.

I would like to know if it is best to open up an account before arriving or after. ( I do not intend to bring large amounts of money from SA)

If it is better to open an account before leaving, how should I go about it?

• 3 weeks later...

It is quite a procedure in applying for an account from overseas, you need to post the application forms to australia via SA post office and that can take long. Rather wait till you arrive and apply as soon as you arrive, like we did, no problems. Must be within 6 weeks of arrival otherwise you might encounter some problems.

Some of the bank will allow you to open an account over the internet and then complete the application process on arrival in Aus. They allow this specifically for people who are relocating in order that you can transfer funds before arrival, but you won't be able to draw money until you've supplied all the required documents.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for the information. I was planning on asking the same question!

Great to know. My parents and sister will be visiting Oz (Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide) in July. Do you think that they should open an account so long? If so, which bank would you suggest?

Bye, Pippa

Hi Pippa

As far as I know you cannot open an account if you don't live in that country - one of the documents that you have to show the bank is proof of residence (utility bill, lease agreement) - so I don't think it would apply if your parents are visiting Aus, however, if anyone knows any different please post here!

Cheers, Cindylou

We didn't need proof of address when we opened an account. They just took our passports. Still waiting on our bank cards, only thing negative about the whole procedure.

Pippa, jou ma hulle behoort maklik 'n rekening oop te maak hierso.

Ditto

We opened an account in Aus long before we actually moved here or had our visa's approved!

Chatterbug

• 3 weeks later...

hi

Which bank do u recommend is the best in Adelaide and how can I contrak them.

Shane