Hello, I'm late to the party... one year in... :)

Steeeve

Well hello!

Hi everyone, I’m Steve. Good to meet you all. I can’t believe I only just discovered this forum now! I could have really used this 12 months ago! haha!

Anyway, my family and I arrived here 1 year ago (usual reasons). We were pretty nervous about settling in here, but looking at some of the stories here, I think we’ve been reasonably lucky in that we’re fairly positive for the most part. But still, it’s very hard to leave everything you know behind. I don’t think many will truly understand what it’s like unless you’ve actually done it. You really feel like you’re back to square one.

Anyway, glad I found some people who are in the same boat. Hope to get some advice and support.  It’s still early days for us, we’re just trying to keep it stable and afloat for now.

Happy Friday! :)

Steve

• Like 6

@Steeeve Welcome to the forum... if you were to change your profile with the name of the place you live in, rather than "Australia", you may well find many more people reaching out to you and your family...

I do agree with you, regarding leaving everything behind, BUT, we have now been here 20 years, and it is still the best thing we ever did for our family!

• Like 1

Yup! Hi @Steeeve....where do you live? We live in Melbourne.

Good on ya, for making it on your own this far. Give us a shout if you have questions...like "When's the South African sale at Aldi?" :lol: ..or the more serious things like medical info, schools-uni-young_careers pathways. Whatever it is.

Welcome to the forum, mate!

Ps..go read the stuff posted by @AFreshStart, it might interest you ;) 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2017 at 11:04 AM, Mara said:

@Steeeve Welcome to the forum... if you were to change your profile with the name of the place you live in, rather than "Australia", you may well find many more people reaching out to you and your family...

I do agree with you, regarding leaving everything behind, BUT, we have now been here 20 years, and it is still the best thing we ever did for our family!

Hi Mara!

Thanks for the welcome! It feels good to find some friendly people. :)

That's a great tip thanks! I hadn't thought of that! 

I 100% believe we've done the right thing and although it may be hard at times, I've met quite a few Saffas like yourself who have been here for years and they all say the same thing! It's very encouraging hearing from the people who have been down this road before. So I'm very positive we'll be happy here. Just gotta get through these first couple of years. 

Thanks again!

On 3/18/2017 at 3:16 PM, RedPanda said:

Yup! Hi @Steeeve....where do you live? We live in Melbourne.

Good on ya, for making it on your own this far. Give us a shout if you have questions...like "When's the South African sale at Aldi?" :lol: ..or the more serious things like medical info, schools-uni-young_careers pathways. Whatever it is.

Welcome to the forum, mate!

Ps..go read the stuff posted by @AFreshStart, it might interest you ;) 

Thanks Red Panda! We're in Sydney (northern beaches).  I'll go check out those posts right now! 

Don't worry I'll definitely be bugging you guys for information down the line. hahaha! This forum seems to be very supportive. Are you always this nice? 

Chat soon, 

Steve

• Like 2

@Steeeve yes, @RedPanda is always this nice, but be careful, she is the Chief Mischief Maker! Just kidding!

18 hours ago, Mara said:

@Steeeve yes, @RedPanda is always this nice, but be careful, she is the Chief Mischief Maker! Just kidding!

Haha! Ok, I'll keep an eye on her. ;) 

What, me? Make Mischief? Of course! :D 

Yea, we've been here for about 10 months now (since May last year) and we are starting to miss our friends a bit. Lucky for me we're "importing" my two best buds from uni. They should be arriving next year sometime. This helps.

Other than that, the forum has helped us a lot with sorting some of the basic things around finding your bearings once the shell-shock wears off. Migrating can be a tremendous emotional/psychological shock, and as South Africans we tend to try to shrug it off. Best advice I've had around that so far is, be forgiving and allow yourself time to process it. (and have the odd chat along the way ;) ) But certainly most settled people I've spoken to said after the first three years you're pretty much set and settled.

In the meantime, enjoy the Sydney weather! (I've heard it's beautiful.)