IELTS vs Pearson PTE - my experience

I know that this is a very common topic and that there are varying opinions on which is better or easier. As I have literally just received my most recent results I thought that I would share my experience on this matter.

The first exam I wrote was the IELTS Academic back in November last year. I did not specifically need to write the Academic version and looking back I have no idea why I did! Anyway I waited the 2 weeks after the exam to get my results and I got the following: Speaking 9/ Listening 9/ Reading 8/ Writing 7. I did contemplate writing the Pearson exam after that but I felt that I should be able to pass the IELTS General version as I had read that most people found it much easier. I procrastinated in making a booking and eventually wrote IELTS again at the beginning of February. The General reading was MUCH easier than the Academic version. The only other difference is that task 1 of the writing is a letter rather than describing a graph/table etc. I was fairly confident that I has passed. Two weeks later I received the following results: Speaking 9/ Listening 9/ Reading 9/ Writing 7.5.

I paid for a remark as the only part of the exam worth remarking is the writing as it is so subjective. I was told that it would take 4-6 weeks for a reply. To my surprise a week later I received confirmation that my mark would remain the same. I briefly though about writing IELTS General for a second time but the next available date to write in Dubai was 25 March which would be followed by another 2 weeks until the results are released. Best case scenario if I passed I would only find out almost 2 weeks into April. So I turned my attention to the Pearson PTE. I downloaded quite a bit of material and went through about 9 complete exams. My agent also recommended the Gold Practice Tests pack which includes 2 online tests that get almost instantly marked. I highly recommend buying this. I sat down at home on Monday evening and did test 1. I was flustered, irritable, drew many blanks etc. and the score in the end was: Speaking 75/ Listening 81/ Reading 88/ Writing 86. As I need 79 for each to claim 20 points this was not good enough but it was a great introduction to the format of the actual exam. On Tuesday evening, this time knowing exactly what to expect, I attempted test 2. To my surprise I got 90 for all four sections. I was extremely happy because it showed that I was capable of getting good marks under the actual test conditions but didn't want to get too excited. Then yesterday afternoon I went and wrote the exam. It went well but, as with the 2 IELTS tests, you can never be quite sure how well it actually went until you receive your marks back. I just received the confirmation email and I got 90 for all four sections! It has been a long 4/5 months to eventually get the marks I needed and I regret not doing the Pearson exam in the first place.

Lastly I'd like to give my thoughts on the 2 different exams. Most people will say that one is easier than the other and I completely agree with this. The major benefits of the Pearson exam are the frequency of the exams and the quick turnaround time to receive your results. In Dubai there are 2 time slots every day six days a week. Another major advantage of Pearson is that even if you make some mistakes you can still get full marks. I know that all of my answers could not have been right. In IELTS reading and listening and answer is either right or wrong. One wrong answer means that you can't get full marks.

Any way now to submit my EOI. Wish me luck!

Edited by Hunts
  • Like 2

Good luck!! I'm busy preparing for mine at the moment so thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1