Tax reference Number

dme

Hi,

I am required to fill in a tax reference number on one of the forms with my acceptance of offer. If I am still living in South Africa, can I apply for one or can I only do this after I arrive? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The employer is just using a standard form, if in Australia it would be required. Just leave it blank and in your cover email or message to them when you send them the forms, tell them that you can only apply for a tax file number, once you have landed in Australia.

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge the TFN just enables them to give you more money on a monthly basis. Until you supply them with a TFN they are oblidged to withold the maximum amount of tax from your salary. I also seem to remember that they will correct this working back once you give them the number. So yes, just explain that you have to be onshore to apply for a TFN (even over the internet, they will not allow you to do it offshore).

You can use a generic tax file number of 111 111 111 which is for people who fall into the category of new payee who has not made a TFN declaration but 28 days have not passed yet.  (I work with payroll so we use this all the time).  You then let payroll people know you new number when you get it.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/PAYG-payment-summary---individual-non-business/?page=3

• Like 3