Double Taxation- RSA To Introduce

zamunda

Literally just read this and thought I want to share the news here. Honestly, I am still busy trying to figure out how it will apply to any of us but its most definitely not something to just ignore without understanding it.

From what I can see is that these changes will aim to tax Saffers working abroad in countries where they currently do not pay tax in that foreign country. This would not really apply to Saffers in as Aus as all workers on 457s/189s/190s etc pay income tax to the Australian government...

I gather the wording of the statements around it is that it's initially thinking of targeting those who are working offshore in regions with very low tax rates and the intention is to eventually return to SA. More so that it can force multinational companies in SA that deployed SA tax registered employees offshore to cough up the deemed overall tax they would have paid had they been in SA.

The wider interpretation is that it could potentially be extended to those of us who are emigrating/have emigrated, if having not declared to SARS that one has emigrated. 

It's however still at a proposal stage and will take time to come into effect, provided it's logistically feasible at all. After all, where are those additional non-custom taxes Gordhan promised years ago SARS was going to levy on Saffers buying from Amazon, eBay, etc?

If SARS did seek to apply the wider interpretation I'm sure a lot of individual emigration declarations would appear.

• 6 months later...

Sounds good...let's hope and see.