Time frame on 189 and 457

Good morning,

I have a question regarding the 189 visa and how long we can expect to wait for it.

We received our invitation on the 15 February 2017 and only waiting for police clearance certificates in order to submit documents for our visas. 

My husband has received an employment offer with a 457 (temporary visa) and we have been told this process could take up to 3 months. We however don't want to apply for this visa because we are pretty much done with the 189.
My husband has since got the company to agree to wait for the 189 because we have been told the 189 could take anything between 2-4 months (are we wrong to assume this). I just want to make sure that we are not delaying the job opportunity by not applying for the 457 visa, our emigration agent has not been able to shed any light on this matter.

There is also the worry that the two visas could be issued around the same time and our 189 visas could be cancelled. 

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
Natia

Hi there

I'm no agent but I don't believe that the 189 could be canceled if the 2 gets done on the same time. if it was me though I'd rather wait for the 189 because the company has agreed to rather wait for that.. On a 189 you can work, study and stay in Australia indefinitely you also have medicare cover soon as you land and also free government schooling, another thing is you will be on the Superannuation which is like a pension fund that the government introduced . On a 457 your tax will be more you'll have to pay schooling upfront and then there is the medical aid issue. Also God forbid your husband loses his job on a 457 then he will have to find another company to sponser him within a month or he will have to return to SA.

http://www.border.gov.au/about/access-accountability/service-standards/skilled-migration-visa-processing-times

http://www.border.gov.au/about/access-accountability/service-standards/temporary-work-visa-processing-times

Have a look on here for some processing times although they are just a guestimate. We applied for our visa in January and our agent said that the times vary but its around 3 months for a 189.

hope it helps

kind regards

Danny

Edited by DannyReed32

Hi DannyReed32,

Thank you for your response, we were always going to go ahead with the 189 no matter what, its more a question of will the 189 take longer than the 457? We have told the company that the time frame should be the same and thats why we would rather wait for the 189 to be granted. 

I don't want us making the mistake of not applying for the 457 and 4 months from now having to apply for the 457<_<

Hi

Maybe one of the agents can comment or correct me if I'm wrong but I really think a 457 visa will be faster to obtain than a 189.

• Like 1

Hi there

Wait for the 189 to get approved.

If you apply for both visas, the one which gets granted last is the visa you actually hold. If you apply for the 189 and it gets approved and after that the 457 gets approved, the 457 overrides the 189. You can however notify the DIBP to cancel the 457 application once you received the 189 BEFORE the 457 gets granted. Once the 457 gets granted and you didn't notify the DIBP to cancel the 457 you will be stuck with the 457 as it overrides the 189...

There is still a risk that the timing might work out that you receive the 189 and the next day you receive the 457 grant, which then cancels the 189. You will need to work through the agent which your husband's prospective employer appoint to get them to notify the DIBP to cancel the 457. I've found that Aussie companies are extremely slow when it comes to HR matters and it might take a day or three for them to notify the DIBP to cancel the 457 application. Also they might be sly and not cancel the 457 application in a timely manner as they know they have more power over him when he is on a 457 compared to a 189...

Just take the above into account... I was in the same boat and decided to stick with the safer option of only going the 189/190 route...

• Like 1

Processing times can be a bit up in the air for both of these visa options.

There are a variety of circumstances that can come together to reduce or extend the timeline.

After application I have had applications granted anywhere between 8 days and 4 months (additional info required re unusual circumstances).  With the majority at around 2 months at the moment.

457's are around 6-9 weeks and 3 months is not unknown.

If there was urgency for you to get to Australia and commence work you could run both applications in parallel.  Your agent should be able to explain to you the process if you were to have both application running in parallel, and you would want to ensure that the agent/employer running the 457 aspect was kept up to date and acted if the 189 was granted beforehand.

As I say it is an option if the priority is to get to work asap - it is difficult to provide an absolute time line given both of these visas are generally taking a similar amount of time.    

• Like 1

Thank you for all the information provided, it's much appreciated. Here's to holding thumbs we get our visas granted soon ?.