Former Prime Minister says to reduce immigration. Is he on to something?

monsta

Hey Guys,

I know the former Prime Minister, Tony Abbot, is just trying some dirty tricks to get his old job back. But this week he said Australia needs to reduce immigration

The issue is migrants mostly move to the big cities, like Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. This has contributed to house prices doubling in Sydney over the last 10 years! Thats massive given that inflation is around 1.5% here. Add to that people are spending more time on public transport. Its becomming all to common to queue for a bus or feel like a tined sardine on the train, or worse spend over an hour (each way) to work on public transport. 

The housing affordability crisis has lead to Aussies taking on record amounts of debt to buy homes. So much so, that the International Monetary Fund issued a warning about it! Sydners are also spending more and more money on transport and longer in our cars.

So, whats being done? In Sydney alone they are building some of the largest transportation projects in recent history... the Westconnex and Northconnex freeway upgrades and the new Sydney Metro Train line. They are even building major housing projects like Lachlan's Line (2700 homes alone!). But still Sydney is the 2nd lease affordable place to buy a home in the world!

The ABC explained how migrants contribute to these 1st world problems. A quote from that article

" As new Reserve Bank governor Philip Lowe has noted, the role of good economic policy should be to "raise living standards" - not just make the population, and therefore economy, bigger. "

Economists at the biggest bank even said warned about the high levels of migration:

" "If both sides of government still want to run with the current policy around immigration growth, then they must be looking at what it's doing to housing affordability, traffic, other issues relating to public investment, otherwise you simply dilute the quality of the public infrastructure that you already have," he concluded. "

Is Tony Abbot right? Is the solution to reduce the record levels of immigration to a level thats more sustainable for Australia?  I am curious to hear what you guys think.

It would also be interesting to find out what at the moment constitutes an acceptable level of migration, and how that is determined!

Related, but not mentioned was an article I read a few years back saying Australia had water resources to support a population of 15 million.

Clearly Australia is way ahead of that number.

3 hours ago, 20yearsoutofrsa said:

Related, but not mentioned was an article I read a few years back saying Australia had water resources to support a population of 15 million.

Clearly Australia is way ahead of that number.

It was an issue in 2000-2010, but these days many States use RO desalination, converting sea water into drinking water. 15% of Sydney's water is provided using this technique and the plant is powered by renewable energy. We aren't going to be running out of sea water any time soon.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

The politicians claim that Aussie businesses need the migrants, especially now that the mining boom is over. But to me, it just sounds like the politicians looking after their rich friends. 

I know Aussie considers South Africans "skilled migrants" and not refuges. Meaning they come over here to take jobs in industries where there are a shortage of workers, not because they were robbed at gunpoint twice... 

I guess its hard when aussies are forced into living on the streets because of the housing shortages.

Edited by monsta

@monsta,

Sydney might be the 2nd least affordable housing market in the world, but it's also one of the most liveable cities.

It's a "first world" city and on its way to being a mega and global city, the landscape is changing daily and makes for exciting opportunities for migrants and locals alike.

Australia's been protected from a recession for over a decade, it has one of the highest minimum wages globally, offers world class health care, FREE primary education and for citizens, an option to have tertiary study support through VET and FEE assist programs. NSW's economy is larger than the WHOLE of South Africa's and it has TRIPLE A ratings from both Moody's and Standards & Poor. You can see how all of this might be attractive to migrants, skilled or not.

There's a supply and demand issue, yes, but if you think it's only migrants, what about students? Sydney has been named one of (and the top in 2014) the top destinations in the world with over 50,000 international students here. Foreign students bring in more that 6% of Australia's GDP. Should we stop overseas student VISA's to make room for Australians? Those 50,000 people need to live somewhere, probably in a home that someone else owns, hence why the property prices continue to rise, many being negatively geared by Australian's, not migrants. 

How much do you think migrants are willing to give up and away to be able to make Australia home given what's on offer?

You had your chance, should others not have the same fair go? 

Cheers

Matt

Edited by AFreshStart

@AFreshStart I am concerned about the low income earners. I know Tony Abbot was playing the Donnald Trump card. He was suggesting that the housing affordability issues are caused by the endless stream of migrants who can pay top $$$ for apartment rentals. The competition for apartments has forced many low income aussies onto the streets. 

Given that there is a shortage of rental properties in the big cities.. I was wondering if anyone buys what he is selling?