What do I have to do upon arrival to be able to teach in Queensland?

JanineSparg

Hi there

Just received my PR189. I am a secondary Maths and Science teacher. Do I have to register with any teaching organization in Queensland in order to teach there?

Hey Janine. Congrats on the 189 grant.l and good luck. 

To teach in QLD you will need to be registered with QCT (Queensland College of Teachers) who will re-assess ypur skills. You basically have to submit all the paperwork you sent to AITSL as well as certified copies of your visa and skills assessment letter. This process also takes about 10 weeks to complete. After that you will then need to register with the Queensland Department of Education as well as Tracer if you want to do substitution work which pays very well. Tracer is however not compulsory but the other two are.

Edited by HadEnoughofJuju

• 8 months later...

I registered with QCT (Queensland College of TEachers) before I left SA, and then TRACER when I got here. I had work fairly quickly - I had to registere with CATHED to be able to teach at the Private CAtholic schools, where I am now employed on a Fixed Term full time contract. 

So far so good, although there is a lot different to what I'm used to from teaching in SA... The children for one are a lot more disrespectful!

Good luck! Where in QLD are you / will you be?