Bringing Alcohol from South Africa to Aus

dlmonnink

Hi All

Has anyone brought alcohol in their baggage from SA to Aus?

I have read that you can bring 2.25l to Aus but are you allowed to pack that 2.25l into your main checked luggage?

And do you have to buy it from the duty free store or is it fine to buy at any alcohol store and put in your checked luggage?

TIA

Hi @dlmonnink, i have brought as well as family and friends that have come over.

Basically i put 3x750ml in my checked luggage. I just wrap them in cardboard or in my clothes and never have an issue.

If you do decide to buy from duty free you can bring 2 bottles as they are 1L bottles.

I go with checked luggage as you can bring that extra bottle ;-)

Thanks Yuvi, thought that was the case but was struggling to find reliable info confirming such :)

Anytime man, i always carry in my checked luggage with me when ever i travel :-)

I (and all my visitors on my instruction) always bring 3 bottles of wine per person over 18. We wrap them tightly in clothes, making sure glass dont touch glass, and have never had a break or other trouble in 20 years. This is in the main suitcase, I always have this idea that duty free wine would be expensive and too fancy pants, never mind heavy to lug around.