Any Tame Stockbrokers in Oz

Wodwik

Hi All

Having read the fascinating and insghtful discussion on exchange rates above I thought I would add my opinion: Although gold is a good store of value, my experience is that a mix of equities and futures can outperform the overall index (certainly the JSE, which has had a long bull run) over time. I was wondering if anyone had a reliable stockbroker they could recommend. Possibly Brisbane based? Not necessarily ex SA as it might be better to use someone with good local knowledge.

Having read the fascinating and insghtful discussion on exchange rates above I thought I would add my opinion: Although gold is a good store of value, my experience is that a mix of equities and futures can outperform the overall index (certainly the JSE, which has had a long bull run) over time. I was wondering if anyone had a reliable stockbroker they could recommend. Possibly Brisbane based? Not necessarily ex SA as it might be better to use someone with good local knowledge.

You're right about (physical) gold - it is a good store of value and a form of insurance during turbulent markets. So I would say a 5% exposure to gold in your portfolio won't hurt. Something like gold coins or a gold ETF (exchange traded fund). Gold stocks are different - while they are geared to the gold price, they are essentially paper assets, so be careful with those. However as an investment, I favour platinum above gold, simply because most of the platinum mined, is consumed, typically as autocatalysts in vehicle emission systems. Have a look here:

Platinum, Palladium Gain on Speculation of Strong Auto Demand

www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601012&sid=apPLUfxEC6gg&refer=commodities

ETF could send global platinum prices soaring

www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/investing/story.html?id=d6f95879-3cd7-44f9-a5ee-1d74f25a8e34

Gold ETF bullion holdings fall, seen bearish

www.reuters.com/article/fundsFundsNews/idUSN1815149620070518

Not as many platinum stocks available on the ASX as on the JSE - but have a look at Aquarius Platinum, code AQP.

As for futures, just bear in mind the higher risk associated with those. A good mix of equities is your least speculative and best bet of outperforming the market over time.

Not sure about stockbrokers in Brisbane, but there is a list of full service stockbrokers at www.asx.com.au/resources/brokers/full_service.htm

Try the following:

ABN AMRO Morgans Limited

Level 29, Riverside Centre

123 Eagle Street

BRISBANE QLD 4000

Telephone: (07) 3334 4888

Facsimile: (07) 3831 0593

Austock Securities Limited

Level 3, 100 Eagle Street

BRISBANE QLD 4000

Telephone: (07) 3361 3303 or 1800 806 362

Facsimile: (07) 3229 4305

Bell Potter Securities Limited

Level 17, AMP Centre, 10 Eagle Street

BRISBANE QLD 4000

Telephone: (07) 3295 2600

Facsimile: (07) 3221 7557

Macquarie Equities Limited

1 Eagle Street

BRISBANE QLD 4000

Telephone: (07) 3233 5888

Facsimile: (07) 3233 5999

Australian Stockbroking & Advisory Services (ASANDAS)

49 Sherwood Road

TOOWONG QLD 4066

Telephone: (07) 3371 8102

Facsimile: (07) 3371 8265

Cheers

Charl

Edited by Springbok