Unabridged marriage certificate question

ZXTina

Hi :)

Still very new to this forum. Wonder if anyone can help me with my recent problem.

We are busy in the process of getting the documents ready to submit EOI for 189 visa.

My husband is the main applicant and he is a South African citizen, and I'm Chinese national.

We recently received our unabridged marriage certificate from home affairs. But since I'm a foreigner here, they didn't indicate my passport number on it.

When we went to home affairs, an official there said they don't record passport numbers in their system, because their system cannot handle it.

Will Australian immigration still accept the marriage certificate, or is there anyone else who has had the same issue?

Many thanks!

I honestly do not see this being a problem, but if you wish to check with an agent, then send a PM to either @SD_MOA or @TeeTMI as they will be able to give you the correct answer.

Welcome to the forum, I trust you will get answers to your many questions here.

If it's something that Home Affairs says they don't do, then I reckon that there will be other people in your position, and Australian Immigration would probably know about this kind of case. Best course of action is to ask an agent, it will give you a solid answer.

Welcome, and best luck!

I think it will be fine. We submitted our 189 application with an abridged marriage certificate and it was all they required.

Hello ZXTina,

I can assure you that this will not be a problem.

Regards

On 2/12/2017 at 8:26 AM, JackoFam said:

I think it will be fine. We submitted our 189 application with an abridged marriage certificate and it was all they required.

When did you apply?

I thought all the certificates including marriage and birth must be unabridged. All my friends here told me so.

I actually have my passport number on the abridged one because it's hand written. The marriage officer put my passport number in the ID number column.

We lodged our app in December 2015. We were also told we needed an unabridged marriage certificate but could not get one for love or money - very long story but let just say I spent hours and hours in home affairs. In the end my agent said an abridged one would be fine. It might be different if you have been divorced though. Not sure though

• 2 months later...

Marriage certificates - on our checklist for current application we are preparing.  

We have both been married and divorced before.  

We have both our divorce decrees.

We have our proof of De Facto established.  

Would we still need to submit copies of marriage certificates to our previous spouses?

Thanks.